What's new

Does every config change prompt a reboot/reconnect?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kevlarmpowered

Occasional Visitor
Is this typical behavior? I can't remember this happening before with any of my other ASUS routers. I feel like everytime I change any setting in my ASUS router it drops all the connections and almost essentially reboots. With my previous router, I want to say that I was able to do config changes and it would count from 0% to 100% but it didn't drop everything and force everything to reconnect. I remember doing a firmware update prior and I was still "connected". I just changed/updated the DHCP reservation list a little while ago and everything dropped and had to reconnect. And because the primary comes back up first, all my stuff attaches to the primary and the AiMesh nodes are just floating around out there doing nothing until a device decides to get unsticky and reconnect.

AX88U
AX68U
AX58U

I just changed/updated the DHCP reservation list a little while ago and everything dropped and had to reconnect.

This specific change will drop and reconnect all devices in stock Asuswrt.

I remember doing a firmware update prior and I was still "connected".

This is not possible. On firmware update completed the router reboots.

This specific change will drop and reconnect all devices in stock Asuswrt.

This is not possible. On firmware update completed the router reboots.

So this is because of the stock Asuswrt software then... the Merlin software doesn't suffer from this annoyance?

For this specific DHCP reservation change stock Asuswrt reboots the stack and reassigns the IPs.

I used the DHCP change as an example, but it feels like anytime I touch a setting in this new router it has to do almost a full restart. Maybe it's just my perception but I feel like when I had my AX86U, it didn't have to drop/restart all the time. I look at the AX88U and I feel a browser open somewhere that says your router has to restart or your connections are all being dropped and you'll have to reconnect again. And because the main router is the first to come back up... all my devices attach to that one instead of the AiMesh nodes.

Maybe it's in my mind, but I don't remember it being like that before. Before Merlin was installed though.

anytime I touch a setting

It depends on what settings you touch. Anything incompatible with Runner and Flow Cache will reboot the router, any Wi-Fi Tx power change will reboot the router, any Wi-Fi settings change will reboot the radios, etc. Perhaps your RT-AX88U is a newer Pro model? I don't have a Pro router with Pro software to test the behavior. My test Asus router is RT-AX86U model and it doesn't reboot or interrupt LAN or WLAN on every setting change.

Ya... I just replaced my old AX86U with an AX88U Pro. The AX86U just died one day... as in, it was working and then the next hour it was dead no power no response nothing. So I picked up an AX88U Pro. The AX86U had the Merlin software on it and I felt that I was in there making changes all the time without interrupting service... I didn't have to plan my changes because either a) there was no outage or b) the router would come back online before whatever devices people were using ran out of cache.

Now with the AX88U... it feels like any change I make is enough to kill the connections long enough that my family can find me in my closet and complain that the internet is down. So now I have to plan my changes when they aren't using the internet. Just assigning the DHCP reservation to my printer knocked everybody offline (hence the post).

I've seen reports the new Pro routers with Pro firmware show "Applying Settings" more often and it's perhaps normal.

Don't play with your router's settings too much because you'll become "Part of the Furniture" on SNB Forums in no time. 🤭

I've seen reports the new Pro routers with Pro firmware show "Applying Settings" more often and it's perhaps normal.

Don't play with your router's settings too much because you'll become "Part of the Furniture" on SNB Forums in no time. 🤭
i get that with my AX1100pro , all the clients reconnect no problem ater settings are applied, my AC5400 did the same

While we're on the subject, I find it fairly maddening that the UI won't queue compatible changes and apply them all at once. Like, for one very easy example, if you want to change a radio's settings on both the general and professional pages you've got to take the damn radio down twice to do it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!