What's new

Information about SMB Support

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

meistadieb

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

Based on the EOL of the SMB1 Protocoll with the latest WIN10 version (https://thehackernews.com/2017/06/windows-10-redstone3-smb.html / https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/filecab/2017/06/01/smb1-product-clearinghouse/), I got in contact with the Asus Support regarding Samba updates and support of SMB2.0 or newer. By the way, my unit is a RT-AC68U.

The German support I was in contact with discussed this topic with the team in Taiwan and responded that older as well as current products will _not_ support SMB2 or SMB3. (Original Quote "Nach Rücksprache mit meinen Kollegen in Taiwan muss ich Ihnen leider mitteilen das unsere Geräte, sowohl ältere als auch die aktuellen Modelle, SMB2 und SMB3 nicht unterstützen werden.").

Until now I kept the original firmware, now I am glad to have the opportunity to go with Asuswrt-Merlin

Best regards,
Stephan

Last edited:
Keep in mind that the SMB1 client is still alive and well in Windows 10 1709. It's only on a clean install that it will not be installed by default - and even then, you can still manually install it.

People upgrading from 1703 to 1709 are not affected - nothing changed for these.

Not sure why Asus wouldn't migrate existing models to Samba 3.6. I've had it running pretty well for about two years now. There's a significant performance impact on most models, but otherwise it does work.

Not sure why Asus wouldn't migrate existing models to Samba 3.6.
networkmap uses SMB1 as part of it's discovery process....probably don't want to rewrite that portion of the code. I know the later versions of networkmap added additional checks, but on my older fork it can no longer identify clients as PC's if SMB1 is disabled.

SMB1 client can be added back to 1709 through the "Turn Windows features on or off" section under "Programs and Features" in "Control Panel". I had an issue with an Oppo Blu-ray player that I couldn't access after doing a fresh install of 1709 and activating SMB1 Client rectified the problem.

Keep in mind that the SMB1 client is still alive and well in Windows 10 1709. It's only on a clean install that it will not be installed by default - and even then, you can still manually install it.

People upgrading from 1703 to 1709 are not affected - nothing changed for these.

Quite right, Microsoft is always a little bit lazy changing such things. But on a current Ubuntu I already had some issues. I had to change my mounting command to use explicitly SMB1. Otherwise mounting was not possible.

In general my support request was to get some sort of official information from Asus and to decide wether to move to your firmware or to wait for an update from Asus.

You, the other guys in this forum (including me ;-) ) have some skills in IT, but without this knowledge the disk share functionality becomes useless for the average user.

networkmap uses SMB1 as part of it's discovery process....probably don't want to rewrite that portion of the code. I know the later versions of networkmap added additional checks, but on my older fork it can no longer identify clients as PC's if SMB1 is disabled.

It's unrelated to the router's own SMB protocol support however, networkmap implements its own SMB scanning code. What will break it is the clients not supporting SMB1.

I'll agree that SMB1 should be taken out behind the barn and shot...

That being said - there's still a lot of legacy needs behind SMB1, not just Windows clients, but others...