What's new

Installing Merlin FW on one of two routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cdikland

Regular Contributor
I have a RT-AC66U (main) and a RT-N66U (ap) router. Both are running FW: 3.0.0.4.374_979. Will I run into any problems replacing the FW on on only one (i.e. RT-N66U) and retaining the current Asus FW on the other??

I am totally new to this and want to see what I am up against with such change.

I have a RT-AC66U (main) and a RT-N66U (ap) router. Both are running FW: 3.0.0.4.374_979. Will I run into any problems replacing the FW on on only one (i.e. RT-N66U) and retaining the current Asus FW on the other??

I am totally new to this and want to see what I am up against with such change.

No it won't make any difference. But honestly in my opinion, if you have the n66u in "AP mode" then you should just use asus stock .276 firmware. It would make more sense to install Merlin firmware on your primary router (AC66u).

If you flash stock .276 firmware on the n66u, then you should reset it to factory defaults (restore factory defaults) afterwards and then reconfigure it from scratch back to AP mode.

.276 should give you much better range than .979 on the n66u.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Will try the .276 FW first. Reluctants to touch my main router atm because my wife and her job depend on it. If I screw up on the AP we can still get by. Not so for the main router :)

If I choose to install Merlin FW on my RT-AC66U (main) router what will happen to or what will I need to do to about my "Unblock US" settings and all that I currently have entered underneath "LAN/DHCP Server/Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list"??

Maybe you should practice on n66u firmware for Merlin firmware. Once you gain confidence that you can flash Merlin firmware on rt-n66u and then put back stock firmware and reset to defaults and then manually configure from scratch.......because if you don't have confidence to do that with your main router it's probably a bad idea since your wife needs for work. Otherwise you might get lumps of coal in your Xmas stocking.

Most geeks on this forum can jump from firmware to firmware in less than 10 minutes and put things back to where they were from scratch. And not disrupt their household Internet for more than 10 minutes. Also, most geeks on this forum are confident because they know they can use firmware recovery tool if something goes awry.... So they're not even worried in the least.

merlin's firmware is pretty much stock + enhancements. i believe some of his enhancements we're then implemented in the official firmware so merlin then merges their changes to his and then fixes it so merlin-specific stuff that isn't merged into the official firmware continue to work.

I configured my router from stock before flashing merlin and all my settings we're still there after

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!