What's new

Internet connection via PPPoE for 5-10Gb

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

asafalfa

New Around Here
Hi Guys,
I am having a difficult time locating a proficient Router for PPPoE internet connections that can support 5 to 10 Gb connection speeds.

I've been told that CCR2004 or CCR2116 may be able to accomplish this, but from what I've read, PPPoE is a single thread, and he doesn't care if it has multiple cores.

In addition, I've been informed that hardware acceleration may be useful in this case, but as far as I'm aware, these routers lack this feature.
Then I was told that perhaps a device like the ASUS RT-AX89x could do that, but I'm unsure if that's true.

I'm confused, I need assistance here

Welcome to the forums @asafalfa.

I would not consider the RT-AX89x today. Well past its prime. Nor the models you suggest.

The Asus GT-AXE16000 is the one I would be testing in your environment today.

Why don’t you use your ISP’s device to do the ppoe connection, then connect your router with DHCP.

I wish, but the ISP only offers L2 Modem, so I must take all necessary steps.
And what is funny is that I have a UDM-Pro, but he can not handle such high WAN speeds!

If it can not deliver such speeds, I consider it to be junk.

Another idea is to virtualise pfsense and run 1 virtual machine for each core of the cpu (for example run 4 instances), so you can make more ppoe connections if your ISP let you do it.

I would guess you need high clock speed. I just bought a Intel i3-6100T for $15 that I would think can run 5 gig maybe more. I am not sure about 10 gig. The CPU is only 35 watts. You need a 6 generation motherboard. I bought a Dell 3040 PC for $99 that I am going to use with it. I am going to pull the Intel i5-6100 65 watt CPU. It would have more power for a few more watts but I don't think I need it. I am planning on running a Broadcom 10 gig card in it. And I will put pfsense on it. I think the Broadcom card was $30 on eBay. I think you can put together something that will run 10 gig. A more modern Dell small form factor with even higher speeds are available if needed. My system will cost around $150.
The CPUs are at Discount Electronics in Austin Texas. They have a web page.

Last edited:
I wish, but the ISP only offers L2 Modem, so I must take all necessary steps.
And what is funny is that I have a UDM-Pro, but he can not handle such high WAN speeds!

If it can not deliver such speeds, I consider it to be junk.

I consider an ISP using PPPoE for such modern technology to be junk..... they're definitely running it on their 5-10G service? PPPoE is generally used when they have differing technologies in their network path, ATM was (and still is) common, but 1/5/10G fiber service should be straight WDM or ethernet end to end.

I know of a couple of people running Mac Mini's as Routers for 5GB service, as they have multiple thunderbolt ports...

MacMini 2018 has four TB3 ports, which are 40Gb each...

Buy the appropriate dongles, and routing is supported with MacOS directly, no addtional SW required...

I consider an ISP using PPPoE for such modern technology to be junk..

I think it's mostly due to legacy - PPPoE provides the Auth/Ciphering support provided by RADIUS and the AAA servers for billing and profile support.

I agree it's no optimal, but from a carrier view - it lets them get into the market at the higher bandwidths - most carriers that do PPPoE are DSL providers originally, and they're competing against big cable with DOCSIS 3.1 (and soon to be 4) along with non-legacy providers that have the greenfield advantage of no legacy needs...

I know of a couple of people running Mac Mini's as Routers for 5GB service, as they have multiple thunderbolt ports...

MacMini 2018 has four TB3 ports, which are 40Gb each...

Buy the appropriate dongles, and routing is supported with MacOS directly, no addtional SW required...
What about firewall duties? You need NAT? Otherwise, you might as well use a switch.

I just saw this chip. It will have no issue with 10 gig then some. I think my Intel i3-6100T will be close and maybe it will do it. It kind of depends on how much IPS you load it down with.

What about firewall duties? You need NAT? Otherwise, you might as well use a switch.

OSX handles the FW duties...

And using a MacMini as a router, one would have to have a switch behind it for the DS out to the LAN clients and AP's.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!