What's new

iPhone 4 wireless-n 2.4ghz router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jpiszcz

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

The iPhone 4, on Apple's website:
"802.11n operates only on 2.4GHz frequency."

What is the best router with the best range/fastest performance for the iPhone 4? My internet speed can exceed 20-30mbps so I definitely want the best performing/long-distance router.

Some I have found:
1. WRT610 (but Draft_N bothers me)
2. E3000 (but you have to use CISCO connect software to do certain things and it has other problems, can't turn guest off (possibly?) etc..

So far I have found a nice round up here:
http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/trendnet-tew-673gru/4505-3319_7-33941218-2.html

Another review here showing the WRT610N as the winner, for the most part:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/802.11n-wireless-router-access-point,2605-11.html

Basically I want the best performing Wireless-N final specification to get the maximum performance for an iPhone 4.

Recommendations?

The WRT610N would be hands down the best way to go IMO but its Draft-N.

Last edited:
There is no such thing as "draft N" anymore. Devices that were built to comply with the last of the draft specs were then "grandfathered" in and became 802.11n certified. Devices like the D-Link DIR-655, Linksys WRT-610, WRT-320 etc. Fear not.

The Linksys E3000 uses exactly the same hardware as the WRT-610N version 2, only the firmware is different. Either model will work well but because they are dual band they are pretty expensive.

Last edited:
Hello,

Ah, I did not know that, I checked the router here:
http://homestore.cisco.com/en-us/ou...productId83108078VVcatId543906VVviewprod.htm#

And it does say 802.11n and not draft, interesting!

Having said that, which 802.11n performs the best at the 2.4ghz band for bandwidth/distance/etc?

What are the top picks in your opinion?

I read a lot of reviews about the E3000 vs. the WRT610N, the E3000 you cannot do a number of things without the special cisco connect software so for me it'd be the WRT610N possibly; however, the router is a number of years old, is it still the best in your opinion?

Last edited:
I would not recommend the DIR-685, despite its high wireless performance. Its way overpriced for what you get.

If you need only 2.4 GHz, why are you looking at dual-band routers?

Your iPhone isn't going to come anywhere near being able to utilize the benefits of a 20 Mbps Internet connection. You can choose most any single-band N router at the top of the Wireless Charts.

Hello,

True, but while I want it to be optimized for the iPhone 4, would also like to get the best one overall if/when I use it with a laptop 802.11n.

No router is "optimized" for the iPhone or any other device. The two most popular dual-band N routers currently are the NETGEAR WNDR3700 and Cisco Linksys E3000.

Hi,

Thanks, I realize that-- what I meant is optimized for the Wireless-N 2.4ghz band.

Having said that, would you go with an E3000 or WRT610N, the latter giving you the option to go DDWRT if you want?

I would go with neither, but with a WNDR3700 if you want dual band.
DD-WRT is not going to provide better performance, just more features.

I read about it, it seems to be one of the few wireless routers that has 8 antennae whereas the E3000 and WRT610N only have 6.

However, regarding freezing/stability/etc, is the WNDR3700 stable?
Do you have experience about all 3?
Do you currently use a WNDR3700?

The number of antennas isn't a determining factor.

I use a WNDR3700 and have no problems with it.