What's new

Is Comcast jerking me around?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dolemite79

New Around Here
Well today i took the plunge and upgraded to the comcast 50 Extreme service from their middle of the road package. I'm using a motorola SB6120 modem with a Netgear WNDR3700 router. After 45 minutes the my internet started to work again but I'm still seeing speeds of 20Mbps and 4Mbps instead of the 50/10 that I should be seeing. I called comcast and the tech told me that it could take up to a day to see the speeds "circulate" through the system.

Are they jerking me around or will it be a full day before I start seeing the speeds I should be seeing?

PS- and of course they tried to blame the router "plug directly into modem with your computer that should solve it"
Thanks

Try to power cycle the modem. Also, try to connect your PC directly to the 6120 using a Cat5e cable. visit www.speedtest.net and test using more than one local server. See if speed improves.

What OS are you running?

Wired Internet service Topic may be misplaced here in the wireless area, but...

Speedtest.net's host servers around the country will often/usually not provide 20+mbps.

The Motorola SBxxx cable modems I've uses all have had an admin web server that I can view at 192.168.100.1. Here, I can see status and signal strengths, log, etc. It doesn't show what modulation rate on the downstream (to you) that is enabled, on my older ones.

They can easily look into your modem and see if their provisioning has been pushed out to increase the modulation rate that you are paying for.

Personally, since few/no Internet hosts will send data at those high speeds, nor for more than a quick burst, I wouldn't pay for that. I have 20Mbps net yield down from the best server that I fid on speedtest.net. But rare is the web server on the net that delivers more than a few Mbps. Most don't need to.

I suppose the argument for such high capacity is if there are several HD video streams coming to your house simultaneously, to DVRs or home theaters.

Last edited: