What's new

Is policy based vpn just device based?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mrbg07546

New Around Here
i installed merlin vpn. Because I wanted iptv on my Samsung tv to have vpn. But I noticed when I use things like iPlayer ,it gets blocked as the vpn blocks them.

Is it possible to say my IPTV(which is on my Samsung tv) has vpn , and other apps on tv don’t??

Attachments

• 4603F218-5F03-492C-986D-E04BD57090A6.png
    4603F218-5F03-492C-986D-E04BD57090A6.png
    215.6 KB · Views: 472
i installed merlin vpn. Because I wanted iptv on my Samsung tv to have vpn. But I noticed when I use things like iPlayer ,it gets blocked as the vpn blocks them.

Is it possible to say my IPTV(which is on my Samsung tv) has vpn , and other apps on tv don’t??

In a word NO.

Internet applications invariably use a particular resource i.e. a port to create an application socket.

So if you know all of the ports used by the application (tcpdump packet monitoring?), then as you can selectively route the ports (using advanced scripting), in theory this is effectively routing the application.

However, suppose you want to selectively route applications

Firefox
to VPN Client 1
Chrome
to WAN

As both of these application use port 80 (by default), doing that with 'basic' iptables is difficult but not impossible when using iptables on say a Raspberry Pi/Android etc., but I think not on a router?; despite '-m string BrowserUserAgent'/conntrack usage?
(I'm sure someone will jump in to prove me wrong! :p )

Ok so my options are
1) find a vpn provider that bbc don’t block (pia is blocked.
2) turn off vpn when I want to use bbc.
3) use bbc on another device such as fire tv
4) buy a mag box and put iptv on that

Or find the IPs used by BBC, and force these destination IPs through the WAN.

Some VPNs offer Android TV apps, like VPN.ac, Astrill, ExpressVPN and they have selective routing feature, so you can route only selected apps on your Smart TV (provided it is Android and has good CPU which may be a problem). Try Astrill in this case, they offer 7 day free trial via chat. They have OpenWeb protocol on Android which is very lightweight compared to OpenVPN.