What's new

Is stock firmware stable?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

czrabode

Occasional Visitor
I just installed an RT-AC86U. I have 32 wireless devices connected. I have ATT fiber.

I noticed that my connection gets intermittently stalled and slowed down. Plus sometimes the router web interface gets slow. Is this normal for the Asus stock firmware?

I know there’s Merlin but I was hoping to not have to learn something new since I am still trying to figure out Home Assistant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just installed an RT-AC86U. I have 32 wireless devices connected. I have ATT fiber.

I noticed that my connection gets intermittently stalled and slowed down. Plus sometimes the router web interface gets slow. Is this normal for the Asus stock firmware?

I know there’s Merlin but I was hoping to not have to learn something new since I am still trying to figure out Home Assistant.

The rule of thumb for wireless devices is normally no more than 20 devices per radio regardless of what brand of SOHO router/AP you are using. If most of your 32 devices are connecting at the same time you need to consider adding a second AP and splitting the 32 devices between them.

The rule of thumb for wireless devices is normally no more than 20 devices per radio regardless of what brand of SOHO router/AP you are using. If most of your 32 devices are connecting at the same time you need to consider adding a second AP and splitting the 32 devices between them.

Can I use the same SSID (put the router in AP mode) or should I use a different SSID?

Can I use the same SSID (put the router in AP mode) or should I use a different SSID?

You can do it either way, but be sure to put them on different radio channels. In your case I would give them different SSIDs, change the passwords and give half the users one passwords and the others the other code.

Another option is move your heavy data using devices such as streaming boxes to the new SSID which will free up capacity on your present SSID for smaller data users.

yes you could, many doing this (me too). But better on different channels without Aimesh.

yes you could, many doing this (me too). But better on different channels without Aimesh.
If he currently is getting good coverage with a single AP that means he probably has good WiFi coverage througout his home therefore his problem isn't dead spots but more than 20 many clients per radio. If he uses the same SSID on both APs how will it be possible to have 16 clients connect to one and 16 clients connect to the other?

usually they will connect to the strongest router, so automatically they will split enough to work well.
Or connect slower devices to 2G and faster to 5G only or depending on distance.

But he is planning a second router, so Aimesh would make sense with stock and 86U got smart connect which hopefully will solve it well.

First he should look into device list to see how they are connected right now when he got the problem, dont think they all are on 5G or 2G at the same moment!
And usually many devices are only connected for short time when they are used.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!