What's new

Is the RT-AC88U a dud?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Darf Nader

Occasional Visitor
I experienced the popular WiFi dropout problem for which ASUS warranty-swapped with their usual efficiency, but even the new unit seems to have VLAN issues where traffic to the WAN port just stops and requires a restart. I’m curious if other owners have also had problems with their replacement units as well or if I am just unlucky. I have been a loyal ASUS user for a decade but this is the first time I’ve ever experienced problems like this. I almost suspect they had Netgear secretly make it! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last year during the week of BF I tried 2 different Asus refurbished units, a 3100 and a 3200, both were defective. OTOH, this refurb 1900 has been bulletproof.

Personally, not a big fan of refurbished (insert device here) units. You never really know if the issue was fully tested and corrected or did it boot up so must be "ok" and off to the next client. Usually somewhere between these options.

An "open box" or return from someone that didn't like it, or couldn't make it work is a different scenario. A reset to factory can solve software issues but a true hardware failure may not be part of the repair process (obviously depends on many factors like severity of the failure or are of operation).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!