What's new

Is the RT-AC88U powefull enought to handle transmission?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pepo

New Around Here
I've a RT-AC87U, and I have transmission installed on it. The problem is that the download speed is so unestable (I've got 50Mb/50Mb fiber conection). Using a Synology for download with same torrents is perfect. My questions is ... as RT-AC88U is 0,4Ghz faster and has 256mb more RAM ... does it worth it?

Regards.

PS: I'm downloading the files in a USB 3 pendrive (more than enought for the 6.5MB/s of my connection).

I am using Transmission ever since the early days with my N66U as main router - now (after having a AC68U as main one) finally on my AC87U.

The limits of the tiny routers are slow CPU and not much RAM:
- All I/O goes thru the CPU (no DMA or smart controllers) and need as much as possible CPU power (overclocking is your friend)
- A swap file is absolutely needed as the small RAM get's full within no time and Linux will go ballistic without available memory

Unfortunately there could be a problem with USB 3.0 pen-drives - I tried to switch from USB 3.0 HDD to a large pen-drive but both of my devices failed with "USB disconnect, address" errors under load.

So I am back to a pen-drive on USB 2.0 for Entware NG/Transmission installation and having a working HDD "WD Elements 1048" on the USB 3.0 port for the data files.

Last edited:
How do I know if I'm having USB 3.0 disconnect problems? USB 2.0 for me is more than enought

How do I know if I'm having USB 3.0 disconnect problems?
Add USB drive on 3.0 port, install Transmission and let it run - you will see... :rolleyes:

I have found this in my syslog:

Feb 10 11:21:11 transmission-daemon[1319]: UDP Failed to set receive buffer: requested 4194304, got 245760 (tr-udp.c:84)
Feb 10 11:21:11 transmission-daemon[1319]: UDP Failed to set send buffer: requested 1048576, got 245760 (tr-udp.c:95)

Is it related?

Hello, I am using transmission since last year on my rt-ac3200 without problems, through USB 3.0 and with very good performance. The 'set send/receive buffer size failed' messages are absolutely normal and do not cause any harm.

Hello, I am using transmission since last year on my rt-ac3200 without problems, through USB 3.0 and with very good performance. The 'set send/receive buffer size failed' messages are absolutely normal and do not cause any harm.

Can you tell me your real and stable download speed using transmission?

Feb 10 11:21:11 transmission-daemon[1319]: UDP Failed to set receive buffer: requested 4194304, got 245760 (tr-udp.c:84)
Feb 10 11:21:11 transmission-daemon[1319]: UDP Failed to set send buffer: requested 1048576, got 245760 (tr-udp.c:95)
Not a real issue: Transmission is asking for more memory to buffer network traffic but the buffers on the router are to small.

If you wanna fix it you can add this lines into init-start in /jffs/scripts:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
# When uTorrent transport protocol is enabled give transmission the
# requested values:
#echo 4194304 > /proc/sys/net/core/rmem_max
#echo 1048576 > /proc/sys/net/core/wmem_max
# better to add memory to 5MB receive and 1.5MB send:
echo 5242880 > /proc/sys/net/core/rmem_max
echo 1572864 > /proc/sys/net/core/wmem_max

Based on my USB disk access and CPU workload the stable max values are 10 Mbit download and 5 Mbit upload - also related to my ISP's speed.

Hi, in my setup the USB3 port / disk can read at 60MB/sec and write speeds are close to 50MB/sec. My ISP line is 300Mbps (under 37MB/s) up and down, so this would be the limit.. in any case I have normally limited transmission speed to under 10Mbps for upload and uncapped for download. I have seen downloads in excess of 20mbps, depending on who is serving my client.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!