What's new

Issue with Asus RT-AC66u - Accessing devices attached to the wireless antenna

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MiPinner

New Around Here
I have been experience this issue for a number of months and I finally decided to spend the time to figure out the problem; however, this one has me spinning my wheels. I'm not the most experienced guy when it come to the Linux wireless routers, but I've learned a lot in recent days.

Problem: I am unable to access/ping local devices on the wireless network when connected to the same wireless network. For instance, when using my laptop or phone and connected to the 2.4 GHz antenna, I'm unable to access my wireless camera on the same 2.4 GHz antenna. However, I am able to access my NAS which is connected to a wired port on the same wireless router. If I SSH to my router I am able to see the MAC of my camera in the ARP table and I'm able to ping the device. If I attempt to ping the camera from my laptop I receive, "destination host unreachable." Running WireShark on my laptop I can see the broadcast ARP is being sent out, but there is no reply. If I reboot the router, or cycle the wireless antenna with the 'wl' command, access is restored to the my wireless camera.

I feel the problem is related to the OpenVPN server. I have the VPN configure with a TUN on my router. Everything seems to work fine until I connect remotely. Then when I locally attach to my wireless I am unable to see the other wireless devices. Additionally, when I experiencing the problem I can establish a VPN connection (while connected locally to my wireless antenna) and then successfully ping/access the wireless devices.

Finally, I wanted to mention that when I experience the problem accessing my camera, the camera is able to communicate with locally attached devices. I know this because I have configured the camera to FTP stills to my NAS. When I am unable to ping my camera from my laptop it is still sending pics to my NAS.

Specs:
Asus RT-AC66u
Firmware: Merlin 376.47
Lan subnet 192.168.x.x
VPN subnet a 10.8.x.x

Thanks in advance

On the Wireless/Professional tab, make sure 'Set AP Isolated' is set to No.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!