What's new

Kamoj Kamoj Add-on 5.1 Beta testing poll

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Do you want to beta test Kamoj add-on v5.1b1?

• No, I don't trust 3rd party software

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I don't use the Voxel firmware

• No, I don't like your add-on

• Total voters
This morning more problems with DNSCrypt servers. Like I said before: Have been issues with DNSCrypyt lately, don't know why.
Code:
[2020-08-06 05:05:13] [INFO] Server [scaleway-fr] returned temporary error code SERVFAIL -- Invalid DNSSEC signature received or server may be experiencing connectivity issues
[2020-08-06 05:05:13] [INFO] Server [dnscrypt.eu-dk] returned temporary error code SERVFAIL -- Invalid DNSSEC signature received or server may be experiencing connectivity issues
[2020-08-06 05:05:13] [INFO] Server [dnscrypt.eu-dk] returned temporary error code SERVFAIL -- Invalid DNSSEC signature received or server may be experiencing connectivity issues

Thanks for the heads-up on the Cloudflare issue with DNSCrypt. I didn't catch that before. I don't use Cloudflare for primary servers but I think I do have it listed as a fallback. I will check...

I've installed the lasted beta this morning (coming from the original 5.0 release)

Uninstall and new install all went fine.

I've enabled AdGuard and I've attached the log;
There seems to be a lot of timeout errors and unreachable.

Attachments

• log.txt
    10.6 KB · Views: 735
Good it's working for you!
Looks like your internet connection was not ok when AdGuard was started.
What kind of connection and what DNS settings do you have?
I've installed the lasted beta this morning (coming from the original 5.0 release)

Uninstall and new install all went fine.

I've enabled AdGuard and I've attached the log;
There seems to be a lot of timeout errors and unreachable.

Last edited:
Good it's working for you!
Looks like your internet connectionwas not ok when AdGuard was started.
What kind of connection and what DNS settings do you have?

Thanks for pointing that out.
I had been messing with different VPN servers to run some speed tests, so that had affected it.
I've turn AdGuard off and back on again and the logs are looking good now, all loaded correctly.

I have noticed that the log times are 1 hour behind the routers system time.
I've checked the NTP settings page and my time is currently accurate (UK, GMT, London) with daylight savings ticked.
The time is showing correct, but just out of curiosity I pressed the APPLY button to make sure it was correctly set and I get the following error;
Warning:The router has failed to connect to the selected NTP server,please check your internet connectivity or try another NTP server.

I've tried manually typing other servers but get same error.
Could this be because I'm using a VPN. I shouldn't think that would affect it.
Nothing major, but thought I'd flag it.

The add-on has it's own time sync function that sets time using other protocolls if ntp is not working!
The time stamps in OpenVPN and AdGuard does not care about time zone, you can find many bug reports about that if you google.
Me and Voxel have tried to fix it, but it's outside our control.
Thanks for pointing that out.
I had been messing with different VPN servers to run some speed tests, so that had affected it.
I've turn AdGuard off and back on again and the logs are looking good now, all loaded correctly.

I have noticed that the log times are 1 hour behind the routers system time.
I've checked the NTP settings page and my time is currently accurate (UK, GMT, London) with daylight savings ticked.
The time is showing correct, but just out of curiosity I pressed the APPLY button to make sure it was correctly set and I get the following error;
Warning:The router has failed to connect to the selected NTP server,please check your internet connectivity or try another NTP server.

I've tried manually typing other servers but get same error.
Could this be because I'm using a VPN. I shouldn't think that would affect it.
Nothing major, but thought I'd flag it.

Hello,

I checked the output of ssh_keys_install,sh and the reported size of the usb device was correct. I then loaded a new web page for the router and the add-on was reporting the correct size and free space there too. However I am not sure if the change to the correct usb information occurred during an earlier reboot (due to loss of internet) or if it happened while running ssh_keys_install.sh.

I've attached a screenshot and the output of USB 1 Show (nothing on usb 2 at the time).

BL

Interesting with the USB device, but maybe also explaining part of your problem:
The add-on tests the usb-devices to see that if they are read-only or not, not not try to store info on
write-protected/read-only devices, or cd-rom/printer etc, and are does not have zero space available.

That's why the add-on calls the found USBs below as "usable".

You can e.g. run and ssh_keys_install.sh see what the add-on thinks about the USB:
(Just answer the question with n unless you want to install new ssh keys!)
Code:
root@R7800:~$ ssh_keys_install.sh
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Found the following usable USB devices:
sda mounted as /tmp/mnt/sda1 (fat32). Label:TESTUSB. Model:Generic-USB  SD Reader. Size:2058MB
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Creating and installing SSH keys in router and writing tar-backup to USB at:/tmp/mnt/sda1

Do you want to create new ssh keys in the router? [y/n] n
Bad answer. Exit.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-08-06_06-44-58.png
    Screenshot_2020-08-06_06-44-58.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 92
  • USB_1_Aug6.txt
    605 bytes · Views: 113
Ok, all looks perfect!
Make same logs if you get the problem again, and also attach the screendump of USB info from Router Information!
Hello,

I checked the output of ssh_keys_install,sh and the reported size of the usb device was correct. I then loaded a new web page for the router and the add-on was reporting the correct size and free space there too. However I am not sure if the change to the correct usb information occurred during an earlier reboot (due to loss of internet) or if it happened while running ssh_keys_install.sh.

I've attached a screenshot and the output of USB 1 Show (nothing on usb 2 at the time).

BL

Last edited:
@kamoj finally got around to testing dnscrypt am on b25 and am happy to report that everything is purring like a kitten. I'm not used to software actually working correctly lol
I'm going to extend a glorious thank you to @kamoj for the time and knowledge involved with your add-on. @Voxel and @kamoj have brought this router to another level and I realize that time spent on this is time deducted from your families and personal life. I hope that all your efforts are recognized by corporations and you can gain monetary benefits, both of you deserve it. Thank you again.

I'm having a little trouble with AdGuard and DNSCrypt.
They both work great at blocking ads - however they are also blocking the NordVPN app from loading.
Not the router's built in OpenVPN client - but NordVPN app installed on individual devices. My set top box and Android phones are affected.

I'm hoping this is just a setting I'd need to change, but I can't figure out what or where.
It's not as simple as just allowing NordVPN.com websites because the website works, but not the app.

The app load up. It's just a spinning timer (see screenshot).
As soon as I turn off AdGuard on the router - the app loads up fine.
The same happens with DNSCrypt too.

OpenVPN on the router is good because you can protect your whole network or select devices that you want or don't want to us.
I use the app on specific devices separately so they can connect to different servers or countries than other devices (like watching US Netflix).

Has anyone else had this, or know how to resolve?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200806-221240.png
    Screenshot_20200806-221240.png
    100 KB · Views: 89
  • Screenshot_20200806-221657.png
    Screenshot_20200806-221657.png
    187.9 KB · Views: 87
if if really is related to AdGuard Home, then you should be able to go to Query Log in AdGuard home, filter on the client that is trying to connect to VPN and see that the DNS lookups from the VPN software are being blocked.

Or one other possible cause: Some VPN providers choose to deliver their VPN connection also over port 53.
If AdGuard is enabled then there also is an iptables rule active that redirects all connections to port 53 to the port 5300 that AdGuard is listening on. And Adguard obviously would not know how to react to vpn connections. So if if NordVPN is indeed also using port 53, then that would explain why it is not working if AdGuard (and more specifically the iptables rule to redirect port 53 to AdGuard) is active

Hello,

I have not had a chance to try reinstalling AdGuard on my machine (so I am still running DNSCrypt). However, I decided to shut off the automatic restarts of DNSCrypt, DNSMasq, and net-lan to see what happens. I still have automatic reboot on loss of internet checked.

I still see the ongoing supervisor log entries of DNS/DNSMasq failures (which now includes text stating supervision is off so no restart). Here is one of many:

[ADDONS] 2020-08-06 20:16:03 51120.47 addons.sh 14610: DNS_SERVICE DOWN, FAILED: Restart supervision is OFF for: dnsmasq

There are only a couple messages about DNSCrypt and failed ping. Its been half a day and my internet and OpenVPN connections are running well. No connection failures, no loss of internet and mobile devices connect normally.

I don't know if this information is of any use but I found it interesting that I see so many messages of failures yet the router hasn't missed a beat (which is unusual with my lousy internet).

BL

Attachments

• NO_DNSCrypt_DNSMasq_restart.txt
    54.4 KB · Views: 120
It's probably the same problem as before: cloudflare!
You can change the address the add-on uses for the DNS test to e.g. google:
Code:
nvram set kamoj_ping_www="www.google.com"
nvram set kamoj_ping_ip="8.8.8.8"
nvram commit
Hello,

I have not had a chance to try reinstalling AdGuard on my machine (so I am still running DNSCrypt). However, I decided to shut off the automatic restarts of DNSCrypt, DNSMasq, and net-lan to see what happens. I still have automatic reboot on loss of internet checked.

I still see the ongoing supervisor log entries of DNS/DNSMasq failures (which now includes text stating supervision is off so no restart). Here is one of many:

[ADDONS] 2020-08-06 20:16:03 51120.47 addons.sh 14610: DNS_SERVICE DOWN, FAILED: Restart supervision is OFF for: dnsmasq

There are only a couple messages about DNSCrypt and failed ping. Its been half a day and my internet and OpenVPN connections are running well. No connection failures, no loss of internet and mobile devices connect normally.

I don't know if this information is of any use but I found it interesting that I see so many messages of failures yet the router hasn't missed a beat (which is unusual with my lousy internet).

BL

I must thank you very much for your appreciation, indeed.:D
You are right, this hobby takes a lot of time, and messages like this makes it worth going on. :cool:
@kamoj finally got around to testing dnscrypt am on b25 and am happy to report that everything is purring like a kitten. I'm not used to software actually working correctly lol
I'm going to extend a glorious thank you to @kamoj for the time and knowledge involved with your add-on. @Voxel and @kamoj have brought this router to another level and I realize that time spent on this is time deducted from your families and personal life. I hope that all your efforts are recognized by corporations and you can gain monetary benefits, both of you deserve it. Thank you again.

Hello,

Thank you for the suggestion. I changed the ping address and ip. I tried both Google and Quad9, but the results are the same as with Cloudflare (getting these messages):

[ADDONS] 2020-08-07 06:54:43 210.53 addons.sh 14195: DNS_SERVICE DOWN, FAILED: Restart supervision is OFF for: dnsmasq

I don't know how the ping monitor works, but could this issue be due to my long ping times of 800ms to 1,000ms hitting a time limit in the add-on (that determines loss of connection)?

BL

It's probably the same problem as before: cloudflare!
You can change the address the add-on uses for the DNS test to e.g. google:
Code:
nvram set kamoj_ping_www="www.google.com"
nvram set kamoj_ping_ip="8.8.8.8"
nvram commit

Yes, but the time limit is not in the add-on, but in the ping command itself.
Not sure what the timeout is, but it can not be changed since the
built-in ping does not accept -w/-W.
(Shorter timeouts I handle at several places in the add-on by killing the ping after x ms,
but I can not extend the timeout time.)

So with your ping times, another ping/fping command is needed (@Voxel),
or rather another command sequence to be used.
I'll add it to my never decreasing todo-list...
Hello,

Thank you for the suggestion. I changed the ping address and ip. I tried both Google and Quad9, but the results are the same as with Cloudflare (getting these messages):

[ADDONS] 2020-08-07 06:54:43 210.53 addons.sh 14195: DNS_SERVICE DOWN, FAILED: Restart supervision is OFF for: dnsmasq

I don't know how the ping monitor works, but could this issue be due to my long ping times of 800ms to 1,000ms hitting a time limit in the add-on (that determines loss of connection)?

BL

I think I found the issue with the differing reports of usb size/free space that I was getting. I think it is simply the add-on reporting values for different partitions on the same drive. My usb has two partitions, a "main" partition which has about 8% used/92% free and an Acronis backup partition that has about 85% used/15% free.

Netgear ReadyShare will report both of these partitions with the correct values. It appears that the add-on info page will report just one partition (?) and normally that has been the main one. Today after changing the add-on ping addresses, I did a manual reboot. Afterwards the add-on reported my usb as 85% used - and this time I noticed it was reporting the Acronis backup partition. After another reboot, the add-on reported the "main" partition as it normally does. In both instances the reported values were correct for the respective partitions. Perhaps the add-on can be made to report the size of multiple partitions?

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused - I should have noticed it before.

BL
Ok, all looks perfect!
Make same logs if you get the problem again, and also attach the screendump of USB info from Router Information!

Ahh, I see, thank you! While that to-do list may not seem to be getting smaller, the add-on certainly has gotten better in my situation. Overall, the add-on's many functions are working well for me and my internet connection has become much more stable as evidenced by no more complaints to me about "the internet"!

So I just want to say again how much I appreciate what you are doing; and how much your add-on and the Voxel firmware has done to improve both the functionality and operation of my router - and the overall performance of my network.

Best wishes,
BL

QUOTE="kamoj, post: 608825, member: 53309"]
Yes, but the time limit is not in the add-on, but in the ping command itself.
Not sure what the timeout is, but it can not be changed since the
built-in ping does not accept -w/-W.
(Shorter timeouts I handle at several places in the add-on by killing the ping after x ms,
but I can not extend the timeout time.)

So with your ping times, another ping/fping command is needed (@Voxel),
or rather another command sequence to be used.
I'll add it to my never decreasing todo-list...
[/QUOTE]

I'm having a little trouble with AdGuard and DNSCrypt.
They both work great at blocking ads - however they are also blocking the NordVPN app from loading.
Not the router's built in OpenVPN client - but NordVPN app installed on individual devices. My set top box and Android phones are affected.

I'm hoping this is just a setting I'd need to change, but I can't figure out what or where.
It's not as simple as just allowing NordVPN.com websites because the website works, but not the app.

The app load up. It's just a spinning timer (see screenshot).
As soon as I turn off AdGuard on the router - the app loads up fine.
The same happens with DNSCrypt too.

OpenVPN on the router is good because you can protect your whole network or select devices that you want or don't want to us.
I use the app on specific devices separately so they can connect to different servers or countries than other devices (like watching US Netflix).

Has anyone else had this, or know how to resolve?

I've posted on the AdGuard Home forum about my issue with it blocking NordVPN app, as it's best placed there.

Whilst there, I noticed that they link to the most recent version is v0.103.3 (released 24th July)
Just making you aware, as the latest version in your Beta is v0.98
I can't see any release logs to show what's different.

AdGuard Home - Linux download

??? Have you tried to select "Download Latest Version"? I never used 0.98...
I've posted on the AdGuard Home forum about my issue with it blocking NordVPN app, as it's best placed there.

Whilst there, I noticed that they link to the most recent version is v0.103.3 (released 24th July)
Just making you aware, as the latest version in your Beta is v0.98
I can't see any release logs to show what's different.

AdGuard Home - Linux download

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!