What's new

Kamoj Kamoj Add-on 5.1 Beta testing poll

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Do you want to beta test Kamoj add-on v5.1b1?

• No, I don't trust 3rd party software

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I don't use the Voxel firmware

• No, I don't like your add-on

• Total voters
Can you supply some more information that can lead to some understanding of the problem?
I suggest that you at least show the logs from the wireguard client as well as the logs from the DNS (Dnsmasq/Stubby/Dnscrypt2/AdGuard) you are using.

Also, have you tried/enabled any of these functions introduced in b18 to help you:
  • Dnsmasq: Restart at connection failure  
  • net-lan: Restart when DNS restart fails
  • Reboot router if Internet is down. Use with caution
  • Schedule a cron job to reboot the router after your ISP disconnects you?
Have a good day, and stay safe.
Found 1 bug at b18: Wireguard doesn't automatically start anymore after Internet disconnect, Wireguard simply stays turned off until i manually start it.
Restart at connection failure is marked but doesn't seem to work?

kamoj,

I too have the same Internet reconnect problem but with my R7800, Voxel V78-SF, and your 53b-18 addon but using the OpenVPN client. It worked previously with all boxes checked in the OpenVPN Client - General Settings box, although I cannot say for sure that it worked on 5b-17. Also, now I have trouble getting a VPN connection if the Killswitch On box is checked. I keep the top 2 Killswitch boxes unchecked and start the client. Once connected I check the boxes (now all boxes checked) and the client continues to work. However, every two or three days when I get a disconnect it doesn't reconnect and I have to manually reinitialize the OVPN client. Also, I am not running any DNS/AddBlocking features. The next time I get a reset I'll attach the VPN session log. If there is anything else you might need please let me know.

Thanks again for all of your excellent work and advice!

LSM

Hello,

I too have the connect/restart problems with OpenVPN and WireGuard (OpenVPN seems to run better than WireGuard for me). I did save logs and screeshots and will make them available as soon as I can (in the next day or two). Everything else is running great!

Best wishes
BL

Also, have you tried/enabled any of these functions introduced in b18 to help you:
kamoj,

I too have the same Internet reconnect problem but with my R7800, Voxel V78-SF, and your 53b-18 addon but using the OpenVPN client. It worked previously with all boxes checked in the OpenVPN Client - General Settings box, although I cannot say for sure that it worked on 5b-17. Also, now I have trouble getting a VPN connection if the Killswitch On box is checked. I keep the top 2 Killswitch boxes unchecked and start the client. Once connected I check the boxes (now all boxes checked) and the client continues to work. However, every two or three days when I get a disconnect it doesn't reconnect and I have to manually reinitialize the OVPN client. Also, I am not running any DNS/AddBlocking features. The next time I get a reset I'll attach the VPN session log. If there is anything else you might need please let me know.

Thanks again for all of your excellent work and advice!

LSM

Hello,

I too have the connect/restart problems with OpenVPN and WireGuard (OpenVPN seems to run better than WireGuard for me). I did save logs and screeshots and will make them available as soon as I can (in the next day or two). Everything else is running great!

Best wishes
BL

Reactions: KW.

Hello,

Yes I have used all of the above except for the router reboots. Not sure how to set up the cron job so it sees a disconnect. I did have another loss of internet connectivity this morning. I should note that I did not have the restart VPN option checked this time.
I am not "tech savvy" but it looks to me like I get VPN dropouts and failures to restart which then causes the router itself to loose full internet connectivity? Is that possible and if so is that due to the router using the VPN for some of its connections??

Anyway, here is a link to some notes I took. The VPN was down and router info showed no internet (but OpenVPN Client showed OK). Net-lan also showed as disabled in service status (if that is the same as you mention above). I was able to restore everything by shutting off the VPN (no router reboot of modem reset). I do have some screenshots and logs but was not able to get everything uploaded before I have to leave for a bit.

Best wishes,
BL

Attachments

• Kamoj_notes_and_settings.txt
    6.6 KB · Views: 185
Thank you very much for your support and notes.:D
I recommend everyone needing automatic restart to use version b17,
until I get time to fix this.

Thank you everyone for reporting!:)

(I would still appreciate some kind of logs from other users experience this issue!)
Hello,

Yes I have used all of the above except for the router reboots. Not sure how to set up the cron job so it sees a disconnect. I did have another loss of internet connectivity this morning. I should note that I did not have the restart VPN option checked this time.
I am not "tech savvy" but it looks to me like I get VPN dropouts and failures to restart which then causes the router itself to loose full internet connectivity? Is that possible and if so is that due to the router using the VPN for some of its connections??

Anyway, here is a link to some notes I took. The VPN was down and router info showed no internet (but OpenVPN Client showed OK). Net-lan also showed as disabled in service status (if that is the same as you mention above). I was able to restore everything by shutting off the VPN (no router reboot of modem reset). I do have some screenshots and logs but was not able to get everything uploaded before I have to leave for a bit.

Best wishes,
BL

nevermind i checked last days and it seems to work now..
dont know why it didn't work before...

Can you supply some more information that can lead to some understanding of the problem?
I suggest that you at least show the logs from the wireguard client as well as the logs from the DNS (Dnsmasq/Stubby/Dnscrypt2/AdGuard) you are using.

Have a good day, and stay safe.

kamoj,
I don't think I can use the first two functions as I'm not running the programs on where these functions are located. I don't quite understand the third one, and don't know how to create the last one.

However, I do have some logs. The restart fail illustrates the problem with an example from Tuesday. The newstart is an example from yesterday of what I get after clearing the log and restarting the VPN. Note that I tried several times before I could get it to restart properly and I had to restart with the killswitch disabled then re-enable it after the client connected. I hope these are of some utility.

LSM

Attachments

• R7800-OVPN-restartfail-log.txt
    5.9 KB · Views: 129
  • R7800-OVPN-newstart-log.txt
    5.4 KB · Views: 127
interesting to see that in your case OpenVPN seems to add 3 routes:

0.0.0.0/1 via 46.243.213.97 dev tun21
default via 46.243.213.97 dev tun21
128.0.0.0/1 via 46.243.213.97 dev tun21

Normally it should only add two. (0/1 and 128/)

This might cause some issues with some of the scripts, if they assume that the default route always only contains the WAN interface.
Don't know if the addon still might contain some code that uses that assumption.
(I don't think it explains the issue with the connection).

as for enabling / disabling killswitch. -> the only reason when that might be related to VPN not starting, is if you change the DNS servers of the router to point to a different DNS server on your LAN. (for instance a PiHole).
If such a DNS server is not on the bypasslist, then DNS stops working if the VPN dies.
And without DNS, OpenVPN cannot find the IP address to connect to.
(But in your case, it seems that also in the failed attempt, it did manage to resolve the DNS name.)

Also funny to see: your OpenVPN provider running the server on port 53.
Guess indeed a lot of firewalls allow port 53. But if you encounter a network where they force all DNS (via iptables rule) to a local DNS server (like AdGuardHome) then you wouldn't be able to use that VPN provider on for instance your phone or laptop.

Hello,

Haven't been back home to send logs so I called and asked someone to put them together for me - otherwise it may be a while. I see they X'ed out ips. If that makes things difficult I will ask for the originals if still on our computer.

The main issues on OpenVPN has been disconnects/loss of internet/failed restarts. This may happen once or twice per day but overall OpenVPN has been more reliable for me than WireGuard (didn't think that at first).

Azire WireGuard disconnects and then fails restarts with an error message. Windscribe WireGuard just won't start...it completes the startup but fails at the ping test. I have also seen one instance where it looks like the Killswitch/Bypass was not blocking connection when WireGuard is down. Have not noticed that on OpenVPN.

Anyway, here are some earlier logs I saved...

BL

Attachments

• Azire WG not installed error.txt
    17.3 KB · Views: 142
  • July 9 OpenVPN full log.txt
    20.7 KB · Views: 161
  • July 14 Azire WG _failed_restart.txt
    9.6 KB · Views: 160
  • Windscribe Wireguard never starts.txt
    5.1 KB · Views: 239
Hello again,

Here are the VPN and router log files I didn't get the chance to save to text and send yesterday...

Best wishes,
BL

Attachments

• July 22 OpenVPN log.txt
    18.1 KB · Views: 170
  • July 22 OS Log.txt
    74 KB · Views: 131
  • July 22 Services Log.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 149
Thank you too very much for more info. :D

My experience: AzireVPN has lately (1-4 weeks) had a lot of problems with OpenVPN servers,
and they are changing certificates and their info about servers is not correct.
E.g. se1-2.azirevpn.net.ovpn has disconnected a number of times with strange error messages, like
" TLS Error: local/remote TLS keys are out of sync: [AF_INET] ".
Don't know what they are up to, because before their service has been problem free for years.
Another "big" problem with Azire is that they now does not allow the client to decide buffer sizes, the
servers seems to have hard coded it now, causing the add-on OpenVPN speed to decrease.
I don't know about Wireguard, though.
It's a sad development for a once very great service, and Azire was the first VPN provider my add-on supported.
Today when I checked the add-on support, it didn't work again, so probably Azire has changed their infra structure again.
Too bad, but I'll try to keep up with their changes when I get free time, I'll give them a new chance to stabilize.

Hello,

Haven't been back home to send logs so I called and asked someone to put them together for me - otherwise it may be a while. I see they X'ed out ips. If that makes things difficult I will ask for the originals if still on our computer.

The main issues on OpenVPN has been disconnects/loss of internet/failed restarts. This may happen once or twice per day but overall OpenVPN has been more reliable for me than WireGuard (didn't think that at first).

Azire WireGuard disconnects and then fails restarts with an error message. Windscribe WireGuard just won't start...it completes the startup but fails at the ping test. I have also seen one instance where it looks like the Killswitch/Bypass was not blocking connection when WireGuard is down. Have not noticed that on OpenVPN.

Anyway, here are some earlier logs I saved...

BL

Had a quick look at the net-lan, and found a Netgear bug (R7800 + R9000 code), so thank you for mentioning net-lan.
I'll fix it to next release, and hope @Voxel will do it as well for those not using the add-on, but uses ReadyCLOUD.
Hello,

Best wishes,
BL

I see AdGuardHome released version 0.103.2
But if I press "Download Latest version" in the addon, then nothing seems to happen.

Or do you need to include this new version in a new version of the addon ?

It is still not available as binaries for linux_arm.
If the Github structure is not changed the add-on should pick the new version when available.
I see AdGuardHome released version 0.103.2
But if I press "Download Latest version" in the addon, then nothing seems to happen.

Or do you need to include this new version in a new version of the addon ?

Hello,

Got back early (!!) and found that there was an issue with the OpenVPN bypass. Some ip checks were done, and I've attached the information from those. It appears that a device was not bypassing the R9000 VPN. Checking and unchecking the Killswitch and No Killswitch for Bypassed Devices checkboxes did not have an effect. However, restarting the VPN with Killswitch/Bypass options already checked fixed the issue. R9000 OpenVPN itself seemed to be working OK...but net-lan was disabled again. Didn't see anything else in the logs that was unusual (sorry, accidentally cleared the OpenVPN log!)

This is on Voxel 1.0.4.42.1HF and Kamoj 5.3b18. DNS still set to local Pi-Holes including one that connects to the internet via another network.

Best wishes,
BL

Attachments

• July 25 bypass check.txt
    3 KB · Views: 195
So I'm guessing we should use ARMv7 for R7800?

I manually download the ARMv7, stopped AdGuardHome, extracted the tar.gz file to /tmp/AdGuardHome/ and enabled AdGuardHome again.

It turns out the old version was:
AdGuard Home, version v0.102.0, channel release, arch linux arm v6

But I'm now running:
AdGuard Home, version 0.103.2, channel release, arch linux arm v7

And sofar it seems to work normally.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!