What's new

Kamoj Kamoj Add-on Beta testing II

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@primitivo

I thought that you shouldd try to set this into your config:

Code:
PersistentKeepalive = 25
Thanks but it's there already. It is a very specific issue I think, because I went to remove WAN cable from R9000 to see how will the Kamoj addon behave and it behaved properly, the green status became red and when I put ethernet cable back to WAN port, once the router regained the internet, the red shield became green again. In between the ISP WAN was also working for a bit - which is proper considering kill switches are disabled.

The issue is not with router related connectivity, as this addon handles pretty well. The issue is with your Wireguard connection being terminated by VPN server and Kamoj addon basically trying to restart it but if it doesn't we end up with infinite loop, which results in lacking internet completely despite WAN ISP being up. Below is a full WG log, I have forced termination of my Wireguard session on the server at 01:24:

As you can see it took more than 5 mins to re-establish WG connection, while no internet was working on any device, although WAN ISP was up. Killswitch is disabled.

Now, to make matter worse is that in the case above it has at least regained the connection after 5 mins as the config file did not change. The bigger problem is when termination of the connection on VPN server (by VPN provider) = invalidation of the WG config keys, then we are doomed as the connection cannot be re-established and nothing works until we manually disconnect WG, generate new config keys and re-connect.

Any take on how to solve such issue? I wonder if someone has come across similar issue?

@kamoj I just installed 1.0.4.51HF and reinstalled your addon then rebooted. Although the settings are preserved, both OpenVPN and Wireguard configs are gone. Is it the correct behaviour? Is there any way to export / backup those and re-import after FW update?

Hello Kamoj, Voxel, few days with latest releases... just wow!!

1621683460806.png

Thank you

Hello, just want to report in real quick, using the latest Voxel 85SF and Kamoj 30b. One time when I was using the button on OpenVPN client to disconnect, like when I press the checkmark to disconnect, then make some tweaks to the config file to test speeds, then connect again. The router kinda frooze, I then clicked on system information just to see if itll load, but nothing was loading. Did a power off on the router and power on, but router couldnt be access. So just did the daisy touch, hold down the reset button while powering on, then used a program for Mac OSX to do "put file" and put Voxel's firmware again and Kamoj addon. Not sure why the system frooze, mabye I was clicking too fast the disconnect and connect, then clicked another place to access the system info.

Finally got around to install 5.4b30 and it works great on my R7800 with Voxel 2.84. The OpenVPN config for Surfshark works from the menu, no more need to do it manually (copy/paste) for the selected server. I feel that the download speeds have improved also. The last version I tested was b21. Everything works great.

Awesome job Kamoj and Voxel!

Hello, just want to report in real quick, using the latest Voxel 85SF and Kamoj 30b. One time when I was using the button on OpenVPN client to disconnect, like when I press the checkmark to disconnect, then make some tweaks to the config file to test speeds, then connect again. The router kinda frooze, I then clicked on system information just to see if itll load, but nothing was loading. Did a power off on the router and power on, but router couldnt be access. So just did the daisy touch, hold down the reset button while powering on, then used a program for Mac OSX to do "put file" and put Voxel's firmware again and Kamoj addon. Not sure why the system frooze, mabye I was clicking too fast the disconnect and connect, then clicked another place to access the system info.
Hello,

That's odd. So far I have had zero instances of the router "freezing". I have had the web ui become unresponsive and had to restart my browser or open a new browser instance for it to begin working again - but that was several versions (of the Add-on) ago.

However, I did come home the other day and found my router had lost internet connection. Restarting it got the connection back but my HTPC still had no internet. A very quick look in the logs showed nothing. I ended up reinstalling Voxel and Kamoj ... and all is well again. The odd thing is, one of my NAS units was acting flaky too and I ended up resetting it. Wish I had the time to dig into it more but the "crew" threatens mutiny without internet. Any way, I doubt it was related to Voxel / Kamoj and all is good.

Best wishes,
BL

Thanks but it's there already. It is a very specific issue I think, because I went to remove WAN cable from R9000 to see how will the Kamoj addon behave and it behaved properly, the green status became red and when I put ethernet cable back to WAN port, once the router regained the internet, the red shield became green again. In between the ISP WAN was also working for a bit - which is proper considering kill switches are disabled.

The issue is not with router related connectivity, as this addon handles pretty well. The issue is with your Wireguard connection being terminated by VPN server and Kamoj addon basically trying to restart it but if it doesn't we end up with infinite loop, which results in lacking internet completely despite WAN ISP being up. Below is a full WG log, I have forced termination of my Wireguard session on the server at 01:24:

As you can see it took more than 5 mins to re-establish WG connection, while no internet was working on any device, although WAN ISP was up. Killswitch is disabled.

Now, to make matter worse is that in the case above it has at least regained the connection after 5 mins as the config file did not change. The bigger problem is when termination of the connection on VPN server (by VPN provider) = invalidation of the WG config keys, then we are doomed as the connection cannot be re-established and nothing works until we manually disconnect WG, generate new config keys and re-connect.

Any take on how to solve such issue? I wonder if someone has come across similar issue?
Hello,

I live in a rural area with crummy internet and sometimes "iffy" power (has a 30 KVA backup generator because of it); so I sometimes have internet connection issues. However, with the Kamoj Addon, the VPN has been very reliable for some time now. I haven't ran WG lately, but in the past it has worked just as well for me as OpenVPN. I have used Azire and Windscribe WG, both have been very reliable not just on the router but on my other devices too... so maybe I have not experience the same kind of disconnect issues. Anyway I haven't seen the same issue on my R9000.

Best wishes,
BL

I live in a rural area with crummy internet and sometimes "iffy" power (has a 30 KVA backup generator because of it); so I sometimes have internet connection issues. However, with the Kamoj Addon, the VPN has been very reliable for some time now. I haven't ran WG lately, but in the past it has worked just as well for me as OpenVPN. I have used Azire and Windscribe WG, both have been very reliable not just on the router but on my other devices too... so maybe I have not experience the same kind of disconnect issues. Anyway I haven't seen the same issue on my R9000.
@kamoj add on works very well for me, it is very stable and I face no disconnection. There is a specific behaviour which I can trigger to result in no internet both via VPN or WAN. I found it by mistake and the only proper way to show it is to let e.g. @kamoj run my WG config which I will terminate by generating new config on the same server IP. Once @kamoj is back to development, I will see if he is interested in debugging it.

Hi @kamoj

I last reported on the Bandwidth Usage on May 4. I have been monitoring it carefully since then, and it isn't working well for me.

My ISP reports that I have used 142 GB of data in May. All of that must go through the R7800 router. The number is roughly equivalent to the amount measured by Networx, another tool I use.

By comparison, the Kamoj add-on is reporting 208 MB d/l and 837 MB u/l, for a total of 1035 MB. This is a radical disparity (and I know from other tools that my d/l data is typically ~11x my u/l data).

Are there any tests that I can run for you to help debug the Bandwidth Usage?

Last edited:
Hi @kamoj

I last reported on the Bandwidth Monitor on May 4. I have been monitoring it carefully since then, and it isn't working well for me.

My ISP reports that I have used 142 GB of data in May. All of that must go through the R7800 router. The number is roughly equivalent to the amount measured by Networx, another tool I use.

By comparison, the Kamoj add-on is reporting 208 MB d/l and 837 MB u/l, for a total of 1035 MB. This is a radical disparity (and I know from other tools that my d/l data is typically ~11x my u/l data).

Are there any tests that I can run for you to help debug the Bandwidth Monitor?
Afaik the only way to get accurate Bandwidth monitoring is to disable the hardware acceleration, for instance via kamoj setting: Disable NSS Network SubSystem Acceleration.

And then it is a matter of testing whether the router is still fast enough, or else decide what is more important, speed or monitoring.

Hello,

That's odd. So far I have had zero instances of the router "freezing". I have had the web ui become unresponsive and had to restart my browser or open a new browser instance for it to begin working again - but that was several versions (of the Add-on) ago.

However, I did come home the other day and found my router had lost internet connection. Restarting it got the connection back but my HTPC still had no internet. A very quick look in the logs showed nothing. I ended up reinstalling Voxel and Kamoj ... and all is well again. The odd thing is, one of my NAS units was acting flaky too and I ended up resetting it. Wish I had the time to dig into it more but the "crew" threatens mutiny without internet. Any way, I doubt it was related to Voxel / Kamoj and all is good.

Best wishes,
BL
Thanks for the reply! Yes after this incident, I never had it again :)

Afaik the only way to get accurate Bandwidth monitoring is to disable the hardware acceleration, for instance via kamoj setting: Disable NSS Network SubSystem Acceleration.

And then it is a matter of testing whether the router is still fast enough, or else decide what is more important, speed or monitoring.
If that is true, the limitation and the required configuration should be flagged on the Bandwidth Usage page. Or perhaps access to the Bandwidth Usage page should be blocked unless hardware acceleration is disabled. Why have an ostensible feature that doesn't work?

Last edited:
If that is true, the limitation and the required configuration should be flagged on the Bandwidth Usage page. Or perhaps access to the Bandwidth Usage page should be blocked unless hardware acceleration is disabled. Why have an ostensible feature that doesn't work?
Interesting. I can see how the "inaccurate bandwidth monitoring" notification would be useful when NSS is enabled. Even though you may not get accurate results, at least you can monitor the relative usage and see for example if one device is using a lot more bandwidth than normal.

BTW, the Addon continues to work well for me. It has had to do a couple restarts recently but they went well. The only issue I have had is just the Voxel and Kamoj release notes not pulling in on the System Information page. I get the following:
"R9000:
Voxel releasenote not found."
"R9000:
Kamoj release_notes.txt not found."
The web ui (on Vivaldi browser) will also lock up if I get impatient and hit the information button again (or another one) before the request for release information completes...but a page refresh takes care of that.

Best wishes,
BL

Hey @kamoj, thanks for the update ;) but i have a problem and it stems from way back when it was discussed how after a reboot wan port is orange and internet connection is down. My absolute cure was to pull the the cat5 and allow it to re-acquire its connection to the i-net. I just updated from b26 to b30 and although the wan led is white it still doesnt have a connection to the i-net requiring me to disconnect the wan cable and reconnect to acquire a connection. I'm going to go back and start over, trying to remedy it on my own. It would speed things up incredibly for me if someone recalls off the top of their head if a solid cause was found. Thanks for your hard-work and all the beta testers
oh yeah
r7800 with voxel's .85

Hi Kamoj, experiencing a minor bug with the add-on, for the first time in several months.

Voxel V1.0.2.85SF, Kamoj V5.4b30

I turned on OpenVPN via the GUI button and my laptop lost internet connectivity within a minute, though I maintained intranet connectivity. Attempted to ping 1.1.1.1, no connection, but an ssh to the router confirmed the internet was still up, validated when I checked from another computer.

Both my laptop (no internet access) and the other computer (working internet) are connected over wifi, bypassing the VPN tunnel via NOVPN naming in LAN Setup.

Initially I thought something glitched with the Killswitch (all 3 killswitch settings plus the restart setting were active). Unchecked killswitch and unchecked OpenVPN Client. The box turned red, but the VPN tunnel Status remained a green check. That was a first. I rechecked OpenVPN, waited a few seconds and unchecked it a second time. Again, VPN tunnel Status remained a green check.

For what it's worth, my laptop did regain internet immediately after I unchecked the box. The log does reflect that OpenVPN status toggled to off, then immediately to back on. I wanted to check if any logs might be helpful beyond the open vpn log (attached). I believe if I shut down openvpn manually via ssh, that will take care of the issue, but I thought it might be interesting to look into.

I consistently run your latest release, and the performance has been outstanding. Thank you, Kamoj, for continually delivering functionality and value to my home!

Attachments

• openvpn log.txt
    34.6 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
To sum up my lengthy message before, it seems the issue with WG setup is that it let connect expired/wrong config and although no internet is active (the shield remains red) the WAN ISP internet also doesn't work. Was someone able to replicate the same?

Also is there any guide how to setup DNS-over-TLS on specific port if I only have the url address provided? I have tried to enable Stubby but based on what I saw inside, all the servers there had much more data than I have (like public keys for instance etc). I only have domain name + port, that's it. How do I set it up? Also does this setup make the DNS set on internet WAN page redundant?

DNS-over-HTTPS is fine too, however I have no idea how to add custom server to DNSCrypt 2.

Last edited:
afaik, DNSCrypt only supports DNSCrypt
Also is there any guide how to setup DNS-over-TLS on specific port if I only have the url address provided? I have tried to enable Stubby but based on what I saw inside, all the servers there had much more data than I have (like public keys for instance etc). I only have domain name + port, that's it. How do I set it up? Also does this setup make the DNS set on internet WAN page redundant?

DNS-over-HTTPS is fine too, however I have no idea how to add custom server to DNSCrypt 2.

afaik, DNSCrypt doesn't support DoT. As for DoH, it only supports ODoH.
So I guess you then need stubby.
and from their configuration document (so untested by me):

In Strict Privacy mode, at least one of the following is required for each nameserver:
  • tls_auth_name: This is the authentication domain name that will be verified against the presented certificate.
  • tls_pubkey_pinset: The sha256 SPKI pinset for the server. This is also verified against the presented certificate.

I'm guessing that setting the tls_auth_name to that domain name you got should work.
otherwise you could try setting it in opportunistic mode, with this parameter:
tls_authentication: GETDNS_AUTHENTICATION_NONE

if either stubby, DNSCrypt or AdGuard Home is active, then indeed the DNS servers set on the WAN page are no longer used.

Hi all This is my 1st post so please go easy!!!

A big thanks from me goes out to Kamoj and Voxel for all their hours of hard work and effort.

I own a XR500 and XR700. My network is built around the 6 ethernet ports on the XR700 and i really dont like to pull apart the network to change it. However i am sick and tired of the XR series they are some of the Best home level routers i have used. However the support is Dire promise after promise. Bug after Bug. there are so many people sick with the time it is taking and some of the issues are big i have thrown the towel in with them. The Dumo and NG firmwares dont see to fit very well togther at all. Plus dumo cant do anything without NG agreeing.

I tried DD-wrt on the xr routers which was very good, however i found that as they are not DD-wrt core routers the firmware seemed buggy and crashed alot. Most on the firware i would never use anyways and so went a little over my head.

I looked around and found R9000 which the XR700 is a clone of, and discovered Voxel and Kamoj. I dicided on a used R9000 incase i was no better off. the router arrived yesterday and uploaded the firmware all i can say is whooo. It would appear between Voxel and Kamoj you have unleashed the power of these routers and what they should be like. Also its more click click go rather than messsing around with settings.

I do have a couple of questions

1) when installing the lastest Voxel and Kamoj, i lost the LACP/Link Aggregation - i use this to my switch . Is this hidden somewhere
2) I use HMA VPN, in hybrid mode on the XR700 - understand on Kamoj is sort back to front which i have discovered. However there is no pre config for HMA so do just set that part manually?

3) i might have solved this one but. I noticed a big drop in Internet speed with the R9000 on stock/Voxel firmware. Looking around on Google it seems to suggest this could be with QOS on???? i normally get 67-69meg and at the moment i am down to about 13meg. sometimes it goes right up then back down again. Is there anyother settings i should be looking at?

Finally, sorry this post is so long i am just so happy i have found these guys and what they are offereing. Once i sort the above i am so looking forward to the DHCP renewel working for once . which will be one of many fixes which will make this router Kick Arse

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!