What's new

Kamoj Kamoj Add-on Beta testing II

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jberry and primitivo, if I recall, you are using the R9000 as well(?). Is anyone not using an R9000 seeing this? Anyway, the shield VPN connection indicator continued to show green when the connection was down... but the restart worked.
Yes. R9000. I am personally glad to see that I am not the only one seeing this issue. I mean it is not a deal breaker, the situation when it happens is very random e.g. every 3-4 weeks. But I can force reproduce this issue also by e.g. generating new keys on my Torguard static IP, this would make WG VPN connection to become "unresponsive" with shield status showing green (which is wrong) like if the connection would still be there but it is not.

The reason is probably that the supervision in the router uses ping and the Netgear "detcable" to check connection.
Both of these successfully use brwan and not the tunnel (tun21/wg0).
The next add-on fixes this problem, but I have no time to release it now.

I look forward to the next release, will bump the latest Voxel FW altogether then. I was going to suggest that perhaps instead of ping, it is better to resolve to "traceroute" if possible. I remember it has always been more accurate and prevented "false" response which are possible with PING on certain setups.

Hmm,

I just lost (satellite) internet on my R9000 which is running WireGuard with the router bypassing the VPN. Obviously all devices (on the VPN and bypassing it) lost connection. The WireGuard status still showed green and the last item in the WG log was from 3 hours before. The supervisor did show failed lookups and failed pings. It appears that the VPN was restarted by the supervisor when the internet connection was reestablished. After that the WG log did show the restart.

jberry and primitivo, if I recall, you are using the R9000 as well(?). Is anyone not using an R9000 seeing this? Anyway, the shield VPN connection indicator continued to show green when the connection was down... but the restart worked.

All else has been working great for me. I will try to send logs when I can...

Best wishes,

BL
Yes, I am now using an R9000.

Thank you for the reports.

The reason is probably that the supervision in the router uses ping and the Netgear "detcable" to check connection.
Both of these successfully use brwan and not the tunnel (tun21/wg0).
The next add-on fixes this problem, but I have no time to release it now.
Ah okay, interesting, thanks kamoj !!

Hmm,

I just lost (satellite) internet on my R9000 which is running WireGuard with the router bypassing the VPN. Obviously all devices (on the VPN and bypassing it) lost connection. The WireGuard status still showed green and the last item in the WG log was from 3 hours before. The supervisor did show failed lookups and failed pings. It appears that the VPN was restarted by the supervisor when the internet connection was reestablished. After that the WG log did show the restart.

All else has been working great for me. I will try to send logs when I can...

Best wishes,

BL
Hello,

Attached are the log files from the recent instance where my internet was disconnected, yet the WireGuard status still showed "green".

Best wishes,
BL

Attachments

• WG_no_internet_on_green.txt
    5.6 KB · Views: 86
  • Supervise_during_green_WG.txt
    193.4 KB · Views: 90
Hi folks!

I just installed the latest beta build of the add-on.

Everything went smoothly and it's all working great so far.

My setup is pretty basic at the moment.

For example, I'm not using transmission or OpenVPN/Wireguard
I've enabled AdGuard Home which was easy to do.

Thank you @kamoj for all your hard work.

Hello!
Just installed Kamoj addon 5.4b35 on r7800.
Thanks for your work ! Here are some personnal notes that could be usefull... or not. :

Before installation, I had to clear
Code:
/opt
with
Code:
rm -rf /opt
to free some space on the device (I played a little with my brand new flashed router and mess with some stuff yesterday).

During installation: I prefer wget to download file as it is clearer about 404 error due to typo in url : curl just download the source code of the 404 page and does not tell you that you did not download the addon file.

After installation : Trying to enable transmission client :
1)
I ran into some troubles when I tried to plug in my 1.0TB HDD partitionned as EXT4. Voxels gave a specific command to "make ext4 compatible" :
mkfs.ext4 –L optware -O ^metadata_csum /dev/sda1
for routers with kernel < 3.6, such as R7500/R7800)
But that did not work. Workaround as I feel tired and do not want to dig this issue anymore: I just formated the drive as NTFS and it is well recognized!

2)
When I tried to disable NetgearDownloader through
Code:
advanced settings pannel > kamoj menu > Settings
and toggle
Code:
 Disable Netgear Downloader torrent client (Reboot router to take effect)
, A password invite pops up, but when I press enter, pops again (and again). So this menu is not usable (both safari and firefox browser). Do you want me to check something on my side ?
Workaround : go to
Code:
netgear downloader
settings and disabled it.
EDIT: Same for any checkbox on this page. Page ask for my credentials but seems to not recognize them. I have check the speeling of my password ;)

3) My transmission client seems Up and running, but I had to telnet my router and enter :
Code:
etc/init.d/transmission start
. Question: Will I have to do so at each reboot? I cannot find the information anywhere... sorry!

See you soon , Thanks again :) Luchko

Last edited:
Hello!
Just installed Kamoj addon 5.4b35 on r7800.
Thanks for your work ! Here are some personnal notes that could be usefull... or not. :

Before installation, I had to clear
Code:
/opt
with
Code:
rm -rf /opt
to free some space on the device (I played a little with my brand new flashed router and mess with some stuff yesterday).

During installation: I prefer wget to download file as it is clearer about 404 error due to typo in url : curl just download the source code of the 404 page and does not tell you that you did not download the addon file.

After installation : Trying to enable transmission client :
1)
I ran into some troubles when I tried to plug in my 1.0TB HDD partitionned as EXT4. Voxels gave a specific command to "make ext4 compatible" :

But that did not work. Workaround as I feel tired and do not want to dig this issue anymore: I just formated the drive as NTFS and it is well recognized!

2)
When I tried to disable NetgearDownloader through
Code:
advanced settings pannel > kamoj menu > Settings
and toggle
Code:
 Disable Netgear Downloader torrent client (Reboot router to take effect)
, A password invite pops up, but when I press enter, pops again (and again). So this menu is not usable (both safari and firefox browser). Do you want me to check something on my side ?
Workaround : go to
Code:
netgear downloader
settings and disabled it.
EDIT: Same for any checkbox on this page. Page ask for my credentials but seems to not recognize them. I have check the speeling of my password ;)

3) My transmission client seems Up and running, but I had to telnet my router and enter :
Code:
etc/init.d/transmission start
. Question: Will I have to do so at each reboot? I cannot find the information anywhere... sorry!

See you soon , Thanks again :) Luchko
I'm very sorry for your trouble.
"0:" You can use -fail with curl. I'm sure you can get curl do whatever you intend to. If not start a new wget/curl thread, please!
1: Post about this in the Voxel FW threads.
2: I suggest you do as proposed when becoming a beta-tester. It's a common Netgear issue. Read the FAQ.txt.
3: Maybe you can find out and share your experience? Just one reboot and then you/we know?!
I really hope you can solve your issues, and report back here.
Stay safe!

Hello Guys, can someone share how to make readyCloud works? i have tried to tick and untick stting/Disable ReadyCLOUD (Reboot router to enable function) but nothing. login is failing. password is correct. tnx

Hello Guys, can someone share how to make readyCloud works? i have tried to tick and untick stting/Disable ReadyCLOUD (Reboot router to enable function) but nothing. login is failing. password is correct. tnx

Hello,

manup85, I don't have any ideas on the ReadyCloud. As I recall, all I did was set up a ReadyCloud account for the router at http://readycloud.netgear.com/client/en/welcome.html . After that I logged in from the router's ReadyCloud page. Some time ago I did get an error that ReadyCloud was not logged and it didn't accept my attempt to log back in. The problem went away a while later (coincidentally?) when I did a nvram erase and firmware/addon reinstall for other reasons. Since then it has been working fine,

I have never tried the "disable ReadyCloud" option in the addon....

Best wishes,
BL

Hello,

manup85, I don't have any ideas on the ReadyCloud. As I recall, all I did was set up a ReadyCloud account for the router at http://readycloud.netgear.com/client/en/welcome.html . After that I logged in from the router's ReadyCloud page. Some time ago I did get an error that ReadyCloud was not logged and it didn't accept my attempt to log back in. The problem went away a while later (coincidentally?) when I did a nvram erase and firmware/addon reinstall for other reasons. Since then it has been working fine,

I have never tried the "disable ReadyCloud" option in the addon....

Best wishes,
BL
yeah same issue but i could get back in few releases ago. do you know how to push ReadyCloud installation by telnet?

Last edited:
I am currently using AdGuard on my R9000 with of course the latest kamoj beta version. Has any body notice that when connecting via wireguard or OpenVPN, that latency times to the connected VPN server will vary? I don't remember getting different latency times before. For example, when I connect to LA its always around 116ms or 120ms, depending on server, but when I disconnect and then re connect the OpenVPN client again, I would get between 140ms or 150ms. I would have to keep on disconnecting and re connect to get a low 116ms again (to the same server), just because I play some online games a lower latency is better for me, same thing goes for wireguard, would either have to keep on trying the same connection to get the optimal latency, or just do a reboot on the router. So I am not sure if adguard is causing this or a combination with adguard and the vpn client slowing down some internal processing. Without any VPN tunnel my pings with my ISP to the LA server is always consistent.

I am currently using AdGuard on my R9000 with of course the latest kamoj beta version. Has any body notice that when connecting via wireguard or OpenVPN, that latency times to the connected VPN server will vary? I don't remember getting different latency times before. For example, when I connect to LA its always around 116ms or 120ms, depending on server, but when I disconnect and then re connect the OpenVPN client again, I would get between 140ms or 150ms. I would have to keep on disconnecting and re connect to get a low 116ms again (to the same server), just because I play some online games a lower latency is better for me, same thing goes for wireguard, would either have to keep on trying the same connection to get the optimal latency, or just do a reboot on the router. So I am not sure if adguard is causing this or a combination with adguard and the vpn client slowing down some internal processing. Without any VPN tunnel my pings with my ISP to the LA server is always consistent.
Unfortunately that's the nature of routing and there is not much you can do about it. Are you always connecting to the same location / data center? On 120ms latency different servers or data centers may have slightly different connectivity from your ISP, so this 20-30ms can be normal. What's best is to usually find a lowest latency server and see how it performs. Do you not have any local VPN servers which would give you e.g. 5ms latency? This way you could potentially even improve your latency to LA to below 110ms, as data centers have usually better peering than some ISPs.

Unfortunately that's the nature of routing and there is not much you can do about it. Are you always connecting to the same location / data center? On 120ms latency different servers or data centers may have slightly different connectivity from your ISP, so this 20-30ms can be normal. What's best is to usually find a lowest latency server and see how it performs. Do you not have any local VPN servers which would give you e.g. 5ms latency? This way you could potentially even improve your latency to LA to below 110ms, as data centers have usually better peering than some ISPs.
Thanks for the reply. Yes I am always connected to the same data center, my ISP recently took out my "voice" line, because I my "phone line" for the VDSL 100mbps is only used for internet anyway. So I guess they did some changes to it to make it a data line only, taking out the 911 capabilities. This was today, so I actually had no internet for an hour, then when they reconnected me, I connected to the same VPN server, and I was surprised I got a ping of 113ms, versus the lowest I would get would be 116ms?? I then kept on disconnecting and re connecting, and I always seem to have the lowest ping?? I did the test again, of switching back from wireguard to open vpn, and same results, I can always get the lowest ping now?? So it must of been my line. Sadly no local VPN servers on Guam, I did see that one VPN provider has a Guam VPN server, im sure that can give me 5ms, when I ping my local server to do a speed test I get around 4ms. Yes I can see this certain VPN I am connected to is the fastest so far at 113ms, versus the other VPN provider of 120ms in LA. I guess different routing. I now feel bad for thinking it was the Kamoj add on haha :/

2: I suggest you do as proposed when becoming a beta-tester. It's a common Netgear issue. Read the FAQ.txt.
Thank you for the answer.
Do you mean the "My R7800/R9000 malfunctions and seems to be corrupt. What to do?"
According to the FAQ, I think my configuration is not corrupt (nvram show did end quickly and config file weigth about 30ko), but I will try to restore the default configuration as soon as I have access to it.
Code:
nvram default
nvram commit

Thx again,
Have a nice day!!

Thank you for the answer.
Do you mean the "My R7800/R9000 malfunctions and seems to be corrupt. What to do?"
According to the FAQ, I think my configuration is not corrupt (nvram show did end quickly and config file weigth about 30ko), but I will try to restore the default configuration as soon as I have access to it.
Code:
nvram default
nvram commit

Thx again,
Have a nice day!!
Thank you too!

The issue you mention here is detected by the add-on and shown on the Router Information page.
(With that small config, you should not have that issue, though!)

I was referring to your "log-in" issue and the:
Q: As soon as I open or interact with OpenVPN or DNS Privacy/Ad-Blocking I get a admin/password request
pop up which only goes away after I click cancel, and I'm sent to the password reset page.
I have tried different browsers and privacy modes with same issue.

Have a fantastic week!

Last edited:
yeah same issue but i could get back in few releases ago. do you know how to push ReadyCloud installation by telnet?
manup85,

Sorry, I have never looked into it and don't know anything else about the ReadyCloud installation. If you haven't found an answer maybe try posting another topic in the forum or the Netgear Forum?

BL

Hello Guys
I use lastest firmware of Voxel and Kamoj 5.0
I feel like my 2.4Ghz wifi is not powerful as stock rom. And I checked from kamoj info page and I saw that Tx-power : 19dBm (79mW) . On wifi settings, both transmit powers are %100. Why so? How can I fix it ?

5G WiFi0 (ath0)ESSID:"Asfi5G" , CH:100(p)+104+108+112, Frequency:5.5 GHz Rate:1.7333 Gb/s, Tx-Power (100%):28 dBm (630 mW), RSSI:No device connected
5G WiFi0 Temperature 45 °C. Top=47 . Top Ever=47 . (Critical Max=90 ) °C 113 °F. Top=116 . Top Ever=116 . (Critical Max=194 ) °F
2G WiFi1 (ath1)ESSID:"Asfi" , CH:3, Frequency:2.422 GHz Rate:378.4 Mb/s, Tx-Power (100%):19 dBm (79 mW), RSSI:-40 -68 -43 -39 dBm
2G WiFi1 Temperature 43 °C. Top=45 . Top Ever=45 . (Critical Max=90 ) °C 109 °F. Top=113 . Top Ever=113 . (Critical Max=194 ) °F

update:
When I change the region, transmit power raised again as it should be I think. But 5ghz transmit power level is low????

5G WiFi0 (ath0)ESSID:"Asfi5G" , CH:100(p)+104+108+112, Frequency:5.5 GHz Rate:1.7333 Gb/s, Tx-Power (100%):23 dBm (199 mW), RSSI:No device connected
5G WiFi0 Temperature 47 °C. Top=47 . Top Ever=47 . (Critical Max=90 ) °C 116 °F. Top=116 . Top Ever=116 . (Critical Max=194 ) °F
2G WiFi1 (ath1)ESSID:"Asfi" , CH:3, Frequency:2.422 GHz Rate:378.4 Mb/s, Tx-Power (100%):29 dBm (794 mW), RSSI:-36 -34 dBm
2G WiFi1 Temperature 45 °C. Top=45 . Top Ever=45 . (Critical Max=90 ) °C 113 °F. Top=113 . Top Ever=113 . (Critical Max=194 ) °F

update 2 :
After changing the channels everything looks ok!
5G WiFi0 (ath0)ESSID:"Asfi5G" , CH:149(p)+153+157+161, Frequency:5.745 GHz Rate:1.7333 Gb/s, Tx-Power (100%):29 dBm (794 mW), RSSI:No device connected
5G WiFi0 Temperature 45 °C. Top=47 . Top Ever=47 . (Critical Max=90 ) °C 113 °F. Top=116 . Top Ever=116 . (Critical Max=194 ) °F
2G WiFi1 (ath1)ESSID:"Asfi" , CH:3, Frequency:2.422 GHz Rate:378.4 Mb/s, Tx-Power (100%):29 dBm (794 mW), RSSI:No device connected
2G WiFi1 Temperature 43 °C. Top=45 . Top Ever=45 . (Critical Max=90 ) °C 109 °F. Top=113 . Top Ever=113 . (Critical Max=194 ) °F

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!