1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Make router prefer 5ghz?

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by Ivan Drago, May 25, 2020.

1. Ivan Drago

Ivan Drago New Around Here

Hi.
    I have same ssid on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz and I see all client prefer 2.4ghz. I have the asus rt-ac51u. On newer routers Asus have an option to make the 5ghz network preferred.
    Does Merlin have this option?

2. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

Merlin doesn't make firmware for the RT-AC51U.

3. Volfi

Volfi Regular Contributor

It's usually better to use 2 different SSIDs, like "WIFI" and "WIFI_legacy". Manually set best channels for both, and connect legacy devices like printers, home appliencies, vacuum cleaners, etc. to _legacy one.

4. OzarkEdge

OzarkEdge Part of the Furniture

The client decides where to connect. If the router offers no node or band steering features (like Roaming Assistant and Smart Connect), then you must manually steer your clients by defining separate SSIDs per band (like Drago and Drag0-24) and then connect clients to the preferred SSID/band connection.

Also consider setting fixed channels to prevent the Auto channels from changing too frequently and upsetting client connections. A site survey with a WiFi Analyzer app can help to identify the least congested channels to use.

OE