What's new

Make router prefer 5ghz?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ivan Drago

New Around Here
Hi.
I have same ssid on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz and I see all client prefer 2.4ghz. I have the asus rt-ac51u. On newer routers Asus have an option to make the 5ghz network preferred.
Does Merlin have this option?

It's usually better to use 2 different SSIDs, like "WIFI" and "WIFI_legacy". Manually set best channels for both, and connect legacy devices like printers, home appliencies, vacuum cleaners, etc. to _legacy one.

Hi.
I have same ssid on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz and I see all client prefer 2.4ghz. I have the asus rt-ac51u. On newer routers Asus have an option to make the 5ghz network preferred.
Does Merlin have this option?

The client decides where to connect. If the router offers no node or band steering features (like Roaming Assistant and Smart Connect), then you must manually steer your clients by defining separate SSIDs per band (like Drago and Drag0-24) and then connect clients to the preferred SSID/band connection.

Also consider setting fixed channels to prevent the Auto channels from changing too frequently and upsetting client connections. A site survey with a WiFi Analyzer app can help to identify the least congested channels to use.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!