What's new

NAS, Switch and Router link aggregation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rhythmdawg

New Around Here
Hi

I'm getting an ASUS RT-3100 router that supports link aggregation, and I have a Cisco SG300-10 switch, and a QNAP TS-559 Pro II NAS.

My question is how do I setup link aggregation, which they all support, between the 3 devices. Right now only the switch and the NAS are aggregated and I'm not sure how to add the router.

Thanks and take care,
Shayne

Hi,
Newbie here. I have the same question as OP. I have the following:
R8000P router, Zyxel 1900 24E switch and QNAP TVS 471 I3 NAS.

I'm getting an ASUS RT-3100 router that supports link aggregation, and I have a Cisco SG300-10 switch, and a QNAP TS-559 Pro II NAS.

Does the client workstation???

Even then, one has to understand the basics - SMB3 does add a bit, but generally, it's not worth the effort...

Does the client workstation???

Even then, one has to understand the basics - SMB3 does add a bit, but generally, it's not worth the effort...
Its worth the effort. If you so happen to have a switch that supports it, theres really just no harm in using LACP and SMB3 even if it doesnt add anymore performance and have the fun of just ticking boxes to enable the feature and plugging in more cables.

When i did the wiring plan for an office, i specified 4 rj45 faceplates and we did not accept the contractor due to his prices and reluctance to source the proper materials and parts. This is because its pretty easy to use more ports for various things from phones to almost anything, and the fact that people could have multiple devices (desktop + laptop) and its easy to get cheap 2nd hand intel server quad port NICs too. The other thing is that wifi is getting faster, and can practically exceed 1Gb/s.

So making use of a feature even though it doesnt seem like you need it can be beneficial even at home. Some may call my setup overkill but its what i have laying around and i make use of it. For instance im using a CCR1036 on a 100Mb/s internet, i have SFP+ direct to file server and i use LACP/bonding on whichever thing i can even though the demand isnt there yet but at least it'd last a decade in usefulness.

I find a lot of fun in setting up stuff, like a bunch of ARM prototyping boards as mini servers, and straining them in tasks. At one point some servers in the public ntp pool was actually set wrong so having your own stratum-1 ntp setup is good and mikrotik does not use the GPS with ntp server so i can relegate the task to the ARM boards that use so little power and have reliable accurate time (or fake the time to fool clocking apps that take your attendance).

To set up LACP is pretty simple. Simply enable it on the device. Its usually a checkbox with a drop down list on the mode, simply select LACP one very device (router, switch and NAS) from the administration. If you dont know where to find this setting, just look around in the device administration.