What's new

Need a Dual Band Adapter that fits the budget

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

iYoYo

New Around Here
Im looking to spend around 40$ for a good adapter. Im more interested in 5Ghz performance since I live in an apartment.

You're not going to find that large a performance difference between adapters. Nothing is going to get you expanded 5 GHz range.

The ASUS adapter is as good as any.

Unlikely that you NEED 5.8GHz due to excessive 2.4GHz interference in an apartment building. It's not the number of nearby SSIDs detected, it's all about choosing a channel (1, 6 or 11) that doesn't have a neighbor that does heavy streaming most of the time. Consumer WiFi survey software shows SSID counts but NOT busyness.

It's not the number of nearby SSIDs detected, it's all about choosing a channel (1, 6 or 11) that doesn't have a neighbor that does heavy streaming most of the time.
Sometimes a channel other than 1/6/11 performs better. This is often the case for me. Even my Netgear 3800 will auto choose one of these overlapping channels. The Netgear 4500 rarely ever auto chose anything other than the non-overlapping 1/6/11 channels.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!