What's new

Need to upgrade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Go2Guy

New Around Here
ISP giving me 10down 3up.
Looking into updating right now. But really not sure whats the best way to do that is. thinking about a new rougher into a 24or16port 1000Mbps switch with 2ports in each room ran with cat5e.

networknow.jpg

I was thinking about getting 24-port 10/100/1000 rackmounted switch with 4MB for packet buffering. But never decided to do it because the two trendnets have be so reiable for over 2 years now.

Did you want to move up to Gig network or leave it mix as you have it? Oh reason you don't want to run more than one switch is because of degradion. I know it had taken me a good while to run CAT5e throughout the place giving each node (device) it's own dedicated line.

I definitely want to move up to Gig network. Just trying to find out the best way to do it. I know a little about networking but I'm getting better.this might sound dumb but 4MB for packet buffering per Device or for the total unit? I ask because I was looking at DGS-1024D and it Buffer Memory 500KB Buffer Memory per Device.
Google/ing that right now.

I definitely want to move up to Gig network. Just trying to find out the best way to do it. I know a little about networking but I'm getting better.this might sound dumb but 4MB for packet buffering per Device or for the total unit? I ask because I was looking at DGS-1024D and it Buffer Memory 500KB Buffer Memory per Device.
Google/ing that right now.

Kb or Mb

500kb vs 4,096Kb see that's would be 500Kb x 8 = really to figure it out 1024Kb x 4 = 4096Kb = 4MB

48GB for fabric (though-put) 4MB TL-SG1024 (get this info from the source TP-LINK)
http://www.tp-link.com/products/productDetails.asp?class=switch&pmodel=TL-SG1024
Microbarn has good network gear cost is less (depends on Asian market) I've order from the prior no issues with gig gear. This item below is what I was going for the price was $20 more last year. I am glad to see it has come down.

TP-LINK - NSW-TL24GIGRM other choices are Trendnet Gig TEG-S240TX switches are very good. I have two switches I am using right now two blue boxes you see in my diagram. (that's was done using Cisco Virtual Packet Tracer)

Last edited:
You are honestly not going to see a significant performance difference among switches in your setup. I'd focus more on warranty, price and vendor preference.

I use Trendnet two switches I haven't had any issues they're still going since 2008. 24-port switch good idea but I never gone in that direction here only on client sites 24/48-port Cisco Gig 3750 was my favorite. Always split the two through-puts. But now I am need for double the 8-port gig to 16-port gig switch. TP-LINK has a lot going for them. The warranty is less than Trendnet though.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!