What's new

Network Expansion Router or Switch?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jon356a

New Around Here
Hi,

I have run out of space on my WIRED network and need some advice on how to best increase capacity. Question is should I install a switch or a router with more ports? Iam most interested in Speed, Efficiency of packet exchange and lastly the cost. The marketing and specs on routers and switches available have me a little confused on their purpose or multi purpose. ie: Layer 2, managed, unmananged etc.

My existing network consists of the following:
Cat 6 wired
DSL modem
8 port VPN router (not using the VPN currently, but may in the future)
1 wireless access point (for free roaming laptops (2))
2 wired computers
1 wired workstation
1 wired speciality plotter
1 wired speciality printer
1 wired multi purpose printer / scanner
1 wired multi media player
1 wired network attached storage device
Spare wired ethernet jacks throughout.

Notes:
All computers on the network (wired/wireless) require indepedant internet access and communication with the attached periferials. I also would like to stay mostly wired.

I have been looking at the cisco RV016-16 port 10/100 VPN router with Multi WAN. I have been thinking about adding a second WAN at some point.

Also, what about looping another 8 port router with my existing?

Thanks for any help and or suggestions.

you can just pick any switch up and plug a cable between it and the router and everything should work fine.

You could go more expensive with managed/layer 2 switch, but its probably very unlikely that you need that as those types of switches are used for 'core/backbone' type networks.

this dlink is an excellent general purpose switch at a very decent price, I got one a few months ago and it works great extending my main switch (linksys srw2008).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FITKK8/?tag=snbforums-20