What's new

new RT-AC86U, which firmware should I install?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yes, stock is stock firmware. One provided by ASUS themselves. Not Merlin's

Oh okay, its 3.0.0.4.384. My stock, so you not recommend to use Merlin?
If you have no need for the added features then it is just another unnecessary variable.
For many users the added features are invaluable.

Hi, sorry new to the forum, latest stock as in just stock firmware and not merlin?
If I were you, I'd stick with Asus stock firmware for about a week or so, maybe ...

While you're running stable, read, read and read this forum. An excellent starting point is https://www.snbforums.com/members/l-ld.24423/#about. (Don't make any changes yet, though)

If all that is too much for you, then just stick with Asus stable version.
If you're a tinkerer, well, go for it starting with whatever Merlin's current stable version is. And then a little later try out AMTM is you're so inclined.

Enjoy ...

Last edited:
I run Merlin for Diversion ad blocking. This is a transformative experience, as I am reminded whenever I access the net through an unfiltered connection.

So i got my AX68U, have installed merlin anything you recomend i should install apart from ad blocking?

Diversion is the only add-on I use. I'm trying to keep the geek level to a minimum.
Yes same as myself I'll look into Diversion.

Currently my Bufferbloat is Grade B. But when I use Cake QoS and set the bandwith min i lose about 10Mb or so but I get grade A+ anyone know if thats okay?