What's new

No updates for AC88U firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Firepig

Occasional Visitor
I'm here because I'm really worried that Asus has not issue any firmware updates for my router model DSL-AC88U (as sold in he UK) for nearly two years - it's on version v1.10.06 build591 issued on Dec 4 2018, which both the router and the website (https://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/DSL-AC88U/HelpDesk_BIOS/) show as the latest available. I've contacted support in the UK several times but they just say there is no update but they're sure Korea would have issued one if it was necessary - they don't seem to talk to their own corporation. Other AC88U models have received regular updates so I'm finding it hard to believe that no issues have been found. Am I exposed to security flaws? Would I be better of changing to Merlin, or does that depend on implementing updates form Asus for each model? Thanks for any help.

The firmware for the DSL-AC88U was outsourced to a different team, it's not based on the same code used by all their other devices. That would explain the lack of updates for it.

Would I be better of changing to Merlin

I don't support that device.

The firmware for the DSL-AC88U was outsourced to a different team, it's not based on the same code used by all their other devices. That would explain the lack of updates for it.
Thanks. As you say, it explains the difference; but I'm at a loss what to do, as I'm really concerned at the security implications of no updates. I may just have to junk it and buy from a different manufacturer.

Thanks. As you say, it explains the difference; but I'm at a loss what to do, as I'm really concerned at the security implications of no updates. I may just have to junk it and buy from a different manufacturer.

Asus has a new DSL model coming up. I can't give you more details since it doesn't seem to have been officially announced yet, but I can tell you it will be based on standard Asuswrt firmware code.

Personally though, I generally recommend to go with separate modem and routers. That way, you won't have to junk everything if you ever moved to a provider that uses a different technology (DOCSIS, FTTH, etc...), or if you needed to upgrade your wifi.

I was of the same opinion, that a once promising class leading wifi router could fail so spectacularly for so long.
First 88U i flashed, bricked the 5g antenna, sourced a replacment via RMA, and never touched update for the new device for 3 years, as I just didnt trust i wouldnt brick it again.
So by keeping my routers head down, I have rejoiced at the renewed life given to a device i had condemned for the bin for several years
Glad i stuck it out, its all updated nicley now, all antennas working, all Ai functions and Dos services now active, no problem.
Dont get me wrong its still going in the bin in due course, but just having a stable capable router with good scheduling and security features does offer some cofort
Plus it just looks the best of the routers, unless you like spiders.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!