1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

OpenVPN - Force client to use router DNS + Firewall

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by bitmonster, Sep 30, 2018.

1. bitmonster

bitmonster Senior Member

OpenVPN is working ok with the Android paid "OpenVPN Client", however the remote client is not using the router DNS and firewall where I have Diversion and Skynet set up. I would like the mobile client to benefit from this as well.

When I click 'advertise DNS to client' the connection stop working.

Any ideas? OpenVPN Client has a heap of options such as TUN/TAP and so on. I would like it to auto-connect when leaving the home wifi to continue the connection on the move.

Any ideas welcome...

2. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

Try using the "OpenVPN Connect" app from OpenVPN. It's free and it works.

3. bitmonster

bitmonster Senior Member

I bought the Open VPN Client for a number of additional features such as auto connect and TAP.

Does the official client force use of router firewall and DNS?

Should I enable DNS filter on the router?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

4. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

The reason I suggested the official client was to get another data point. If it works with that client then that would suggest it's a client configuration issue rather than a server issue.

No don't enable DNS Filter at this stage (or any other non-standard features) it will just add uncertainty to the troubleshooting process. Just get the basic VPN working with the router's DNS first.

bitmonster likes this.
  5. bitmonster

bitmonster Senior Member