What's new

OpenVPN routing stops working when VPN drops

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BigSnicker

Occasional Visitor
Recently I've noticed that when my OpenVPN provider server stops working, my two devices that use the VPN lose their internet access. The router's OpenVPN client status stays in a state of "connecting" and the devices aren't routed via the WAN (which I'd love), despite "Block routed clients if tunnel goes down" being set to No and a "Strict" DNS configuration.

Am I missing anything in the configuration? I'm using a pretty simple setup on an RT-AC68U, and the only non-standard thing I can think of is a redundant wan-start script that makes sure OpenVPN client 1 is restarted (I have previously had issues with Startup on WAN working). Policy rules only have two lines specifying that each manual device IP should be routed to VPN if destination is '0.0.0.0', assuming that everything else goes to WAN by default.

Apart from that, everything's working beautifully and otherwise loving the firmware's OpenVPN implementation!

I should add that this is what the log was saying while the vpn was down, on repeat:

Apr 23 13:01:55 openvpn[23027]: NOTE: the current --script-security setting may allow this configuration to call user-defined scripts
Apr 23 13:01:55 openvpn[23027]: Socket Buffers: R=[122880->122880] S=[122880->122880]
Apr 23 13:01:55 openvpn[23027]: UDPv4 link local: [undef]
Apr 23 13:01:55 openvpn[23027]: UDPv4 link remote: [AF_INET]184.75.213.118:1194
Apr 23 13:02:25 openvpn[23027]: [UNDEF] Inactivity timeout (--ping-restart), restarting
Apr 23 13:02:25 openvpn[23027]: SIGUSR1[soft,ping-restart] received, process restarting
Apr 23 13:02:25 openvpn[23027]: Restart pause, 2 second(s)

What DNS servers are provided by your server? If the servers are specific to your server, then your problem is that with the tunnel down, your clients are no longer able to access those DNS servers.

I hardcoded the VPN provider's two publicly available DNS servers under LAN->DHCP->DHCP Server Setting.

So given that I was able to switch VPN servers manually and use another one successfully, there wasn't a problem with their DNS servers going down, and I would have expected the router's clients to be able to use them if they were able to access the WAN after the VPN dropped. I also don't recall seeing any DNS issues in the system log, but I'll double check the next time I see this behaviour.