What's new

OPENVPN with cellphone help needed.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JimmieNoName

New Around Here
I have an RT-N66U running Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.32 software. My cellphone company uses a hybrid wifi/cell system where, when wifi is unavailable, the call switches to cell. I'm using an HMA VPN, and when I try to make a cell call using wifi, I get an error message that SIP/UDP and SIP/TCP are blocked. The phone works fine for web browsing and such,and with the VPN turned off, but will not complete a call with it turned on. I'm assuming it has something to do with the firewall and closed ports. To make matters worse, I'm a novice when it comes to both VPN and cellphones making VOIP type calls. I've spent the better part of several weeks trying to solve this and am now at my wits end. Any help would be much appreciated.

Edit: In an effort to avoid anyone wasting their time trying to find a solution, I've decided not to pursue this any further. I'm afraid that even if it could be solved, the procedure would be above my level of expertise.

Last edited:
Are you running the HMA VPN on your router or on your phone? Is the problem that when you are running the VPN on your router you can't make VOIP calls?

If running a VPN on your phone you may need a special app to make it possible to run OpenVPN. Iphones only have built in support for PPTP or L2TP VPN. I have only used Android phones a few times as I recall they may have the same limitation, but I'm not sure.

With more information perhaps someone can give you the help you need.

Are you running the HMA VPN on your router or on your phone? Is the problem that when you are running the VPN on your router you can't make VOIP calls?

If running a VPN on your phone you may need a special app to make it possible to run OpenVPN. Iphones only have built in support for PPTP or L2TP VPN. I have only used Android phones a few times as I recall they may have the same limitation, but I'm not sure.

With more information perhaps someone can give you the help you need.
The VPN is installed on the router. That is when the VOIP calls fail. The phones are Moto X androids. I'm beginning to think that cellphone carrier may be blocking any calls that go through a VPN. (if that's even possible)