What's new

Ping command hangs web interface

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

g1l1t1

New Around Here
I was curious what would happen if I used the router's web GUI "run command" feature, or whatever exactly it's called (I can't check right now, see following), to run a plain (no command line options) ping command at the router itself.

It turns out that this hangs the GUI, though the router itself keeps on working fine.

I suspect this is because the router's implementation of the ping command just keeps pinging away forever, unless given a command line option to tell it how many pings to do.

I'm running RT-AC66U_3.0.0.4_270.26b.trx on my router.

I suspect this is because the router's implementation of the ping command just keeps pinging away forever, unless given a command line option to tell it how many pings to do.

Exactly. The issue is better handled in the latest source code where the webui will at least still respond.

With previous versions, you will have to connect over telnet/SSH and kill the ping process to regain access to the webui.