What's new

Problem with IP address lease expiration

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tm4ig

Occasional Visitor
Hi.
I have asus rt-ac86u router with 3.0.0.4.384.45149 firmware.
I also have wired Internet connection.
Ethernet connected in router's wan port and router get IP address and other network settings in automcatic mode from providers's DHCP server.
The lease time of IP address is 10 minutes, five minutes before expiration IP the router usually requests renewal/prolongation of IP.
Periodically (in the range between one day to two weeks) internet stop working becouse IP address was expiread.
In the router logs there are no any messages about the expiration of the lease or other network problems.
Sometimes (but not always) I alse see in ASUS-wrt page message that "Your ISP's DHCP does not function correctly".
The problem can be solved (until next time) turning Off and then turning On WAN connection in ASUS-wrt, after that router gets IP address from DHCP.
When internet conected directly to my PC or other router (for example d-link) there are no problems with the expiration of the lease time of IP adress and the Internet works without problems indefinitely long time, so the problem is not with the internet provider.
I changed DHCP request mode from aggressive to normal in router settings, tried Merlin-wrt firmware and reset router nvram and settings to factory but it did not solve the problem.
Can you help me?

Speak to your ISP and ask them why the lease duration is only 10 minutes. People have reported the same short lease time here before and when they spoke to their ISP it was an error on their part left over from maintenance.

When you plug in those other devices that don't have the same problem are they also getting a 10 minute lease or something longer?

The lease duration in 10 minutes - is not error.
The lease duration in 10 minutes on my provider was always (minimum several years).
My friends who have the same provider also have the lease time of 10 minutes.
When I connect ethernet to my PC or other device, I also have lease duration is 10 minutes.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!