What's new

Problem with Orbi RBK-50 since firmware update

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cosrocket

Regular Contributor
I have had the Orbi RBK-50 system since its release. In all this time I have never had any issues, it’s been fast and stable, until I upgraded to last firmware version 2.1.2.18. I noticed that instead of getting my usual 125mbps down, I was getting in the 30’s or 40's. When I would reboot the system, it would go back to the fast speed, but within a couple of hours it would degrade again. I then read that Netgear pulled the firmware because of a memory leak and I reverted to V2.0.1.4 from Netgear site. The problem is the speed still degrades to the 30’s and 40’s within a few hours. I have rebooted and reset the Orbi system bringing it back to factory settings but the problem persists.

Is there anything else I can do to “clear” the system? This all started with the bad firmware so I’m hoping there is something that can be done to fix this issue once and for all.

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem your using? Built in router by chance?

When you reverted FW, did you do a factory reset after loading v2.0.1.4 and then set up from scratch? Don't load a saved configuration file?
After the factory reset don't touch or enable QoS?

How are you speed testing? Wired cable PC is preferred for speed testing. Ensure your PCs security programs are disabled temporarily during testing.

Test with different web browsers, IE11, FF and Opera to see if there are any differences.

You can try resetting both the router and satellite units to factory defaults (there's a reset button on both units), and then reconfiguring manually.

If that doesn't work (and it might not), last ditch is to manually re-flash 2.0.1.4 (first on the satellite, then on the router unit), then reset both units to factory defaults and reconfigure the Orbi manually.

I think that one of the above will get you back to where you were.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!