What's new

Problems installing Merlin on RT-AX58U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

apocthon

New Around Here
Hello, I'm trying to install RT-AX58U_386.5_2 but every time I get the error "Invalid Firmware Upload".

r/Asus_Merlin - Can't install Merlin on RT-AX58U
My current firmware is 3.0.0.4.386_47029.
I have tried:
After uploading in the rescue tool, it says "waiting for reboot". I've waited over 15 minutes after this and it didn't change. The instructions in Asus' site just say "Steady power light indicates the setting procedure of Rescue Mode has been completed successfully. Wait for the router to reboot and then click [Close]." The power light on my router is steady off after using the rescue tool, but the router never reboots back to normal operation, I have to power cycle and then it comes back on Asus firmware, instead of Merlin.
I don't know what else to do. Any help?
Thanks!

It is implicitly stated. The firmware provided is only for the router models listed. If a v2, etc. is also supported, it would be so indicated.

If a v2, etc. is also supported, it would be so indicated.

Where is the indication of RT-AC68U V2, V3 and recently V4 support? Are they supported or not?

Yes it is... Was that stated anywhere?

No and I see it as an issue. You're not the first one buying RT-AX58U V2 and finding it's not supported.

Where is the indication of RT-AC68U V2, V3 and recently V4 support? Are they supported or not?
It's right on the supported list page:

The V2 is not listed because that does not exist. It was rebranded "RT-AC66U_B1", which IS also explicitely listed.

It's right on the supported list page:

Any chance to add a link like "Full list of supported models here" on the main page?

Your firmware works also on RT-AC66U marketed as RT-AC1750 and RT-AC66U B1 marketed as RT-AC1750 B1.

Any chance to add a link like "Full list of supported models here" on the main page?
There's an "About" link at the top. Posting 10 crosslinks to the same information makes no sense. It's also frowned upon from a SEO point of view. If people trying to look at Asuswrt-Merlin for the first time don't take the time to read the About page, then there's nothing I can do for them - chances are they didn't even go to the website at all.

Your firmware works also on RT-AC66U marketed as RT-AC1750 and RT-AC66U B1 marketed as RT-AC1750 B1.
Asus has dozens of different SKUs that varies between countries and resellers. I have no way of knowing the complete list, or whether they are compatible or not. I only list actual device models, not marketing rebrands.

It's also frowned upon from a SEO point of view.

In "Latest release", for some reason your main page, the list of routers doesn't correspond to the full list or supported routers in "About". Why list models at all in "Latest release", if supported models are already listed in "About"? "Features" must be your main page with some screenshots and "Latest release - 386.5_2 for supported models", similar to "Click here for a more detailed list" below "Features". What is your consistency point of view saying? A simple message "RT-AX58U V2 is not supported" in "About" will save headaches to some people. It takes under a minute to type it and update the page. You've lost perhaps more time in the forum replying to people why the firmware is not loading on RT-AX58U V2.

I only list actual device models, not marketing rebrands.

You have listed RT-AC1900, a rebranded RT-AC68U. Current RT-AC1750 B1 is exactly the same - rebranded RT-AC66U B1:

(I actually had 2x RT-AC1750 B1 routers purchased from Canada Computers)

The Home | Asuswrt-Merlin website is logically laid out.

Seems like a lack of comprehension on your end, and not RMerlin's?

For this specific website the more logical layout is to tell the visitors what is it About first, on what Supported Models it runs on second and then what the Latest Release is. This is the logic OpenWRT, DD-WRT and FreshTomato websites follow with clearly visible links to Supported Devices on the main page. There is no link to supported devices on Home | Asuswrt-Merlin - it's hidden in About. Most first time visitors assume models listed in Latest Release only are supported and we get threads with questions about RT-AC1900, RT-AC66U B1, RT-AC68W, RT-AX3000, etc. I regularly post links to @GNUton supported devices, hidden in About. The same for @john9527 fork, somewhere there in About.

I'm sure most ZenWIFI XT8 owners don't even know there is Asuswrt-Merlin fork for their routers.

In "Latest release", for some reason your main page, the list of routers doesn't correspond to the full list or supported routers in "About".
The Latest Release table matches physical firmware files on the download site, it does not match models. That table is actually dynamically generated out of the update server manifest, which is based on the base_modelid variable, not odmpid or SKU label.

You have listed RT-AC1900, a rebranded RT-AC68U.
Because at the time the number of rebranded SKUs was very small (the RT-AC1900 and the RT-AC68P were the only ones), so I tried to start listing them. I stopped trying to keep track of them when these two variants turned into 20 different variants, and new ones appear without me even knowing about their existence.

I'm sure most ZenWIFI XT8 owners don't even know there is Asuswrt-Merlin fork for their routers.
That would be because that firmware was released less than a month ago. And also it's each fork author's responsibility to promote/announce their own models. I actually added the fork section only a few weeks ago to help them get some visibility, but ultimately it's theirs to promote, not mine.

You don't see Debian start promoting Ubuntu on their project site, even tho Ubuntu is a fork from Debian.

Seriously, you are just trying to nitpick at silly details here. The problem here is Asus having so many redundant SKUs that only exist for marketing reasons. My time is better spent elsewhere than trying to (somehow) keep track of every single one of them.

You've lost perhaps more time in the forum replying to people why the firmware is not loading on RT-AX58U V2.
Quite bluntly, people in general cannot read. I still get even more generic "Is my model supported" questions from people who never even looked at the website, where the model they ask me about is clearly listed there. So they prefer to come here, on Twitter, or in their mail client to ask the question than take 30 seconds to go to the project website and read up. I can't do anything to help these people.

Case in point: the TM variant. It was posted on the forums. It was in a sticky post. Someone added it in large bold text on the Wiki. And I still kept having to answer questions about it. So screw that, I ain't even trying anymore. When I get asked the question, I answer with the URL to the About page, and leave it at that.

I'm giving you a suggestion that will help clear out some of the confusion. A link to supported hardware list on the main page (as other custom firmware projects) and a note that RT-AX58U V2 is not currently supported (a frequent question). It will cost you no time to do it, if you want to.

SOUNDS LIKE SOMEONE IS VOLUNTEERING TO MAINTAIN A LIST IN PERPETUITY !!

(of course over time it would "cost" him a lot of time -and- people would STILL ASK WITHOUT EVEN LOOKING AT IT)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!