What's new

Public Static IP Address VPN Director

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gibbon

New Around Here
I am attempting to get traffic routing from my public static IP through my router to a client. This client is using VPN Director and is working correctly through the VPN client. What I cant figure out is how to also route my Public Static IP through to a client when that client is configured to use a VPN Director Rule? When I remove the VPN rule, I can access the client correctly over my public static ip, so I know the port forwarding is working. Router is a RT-AC68U using latest Merlin.

You can't have the client bound to the VPN w/ the VPN Director *and* remotely accessible over the WAN at the same time. That is a KNOWN limitation. In order to do that, you would either have to port forward over the VPN rather than the WAN (provided your OpenVPN provider supported port forwarding), or perhaps add a static route that would bind the public IP of the remote client to the WAN. Of course, in the latter case, it's only practical if you're remotely accessing from a location w/ a predictable public IP of its own (wifi cafe, hotel, workplace, etc.).

P.S. A clarification. Because of the way the VPN Director works (which iirc, is to strip out static routes bound to the WAN), if you wished to use static routes to solve this problem, you'd have to define VPN Director rules that bind those same remote public IPs to the WAN.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!