What's new

QoS and OpenVPN connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BangoO

New Around Here
Hello,

I have an Asus RT-AC86U running firmware 384.3.

I'm trying to prioritise my devices using QoS, and they are all connected via OpenVPN.
Bandwidth limiter does work, however traditional QoS (using any protocol for the MAC addresses) does not do anything as it looks like the OpenVPN traffic is not taken into account.

For example, tagging a device as LOW and setting 10% of max upload and download does not have any impact on the bandwidth used by this device.
Or tagging a device as LOW and another device as VERY HIGH, the LOW device takes all the bandwidth.

Same with Adaptive QoS.

Is there any way to apply QoS for all traffic on devices connected via OpenVPN ?

Thank you !
BangoO

Last edited:
QOS is not a dependable way to limit bandwidth. QOS on the Asus router see's VPN download traffic as upload. If you use adaptive QOS then set the upload bandwidth under manual to the same as your download you should have no problems. As far as allocating bandwidth to each device, that sounds like traditional QOS which hasn't worked on the asus-merlin or stock for a while now. The status of the bandwidth limiter is unknown to me.