What's new

QoS gaming port Ax86u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Xrsenal

Does the gaming port on this router get altered in anyway shape or form compared to the stock asus firmware?

Let me know ; prob a question only Merlin can answer

I don’t think Merlin does anything to enhance or hinder the “Gaming port”. But since Merlin 386.2_6 is based on the 42095 GPL, and stock is up to 44130, there could be differences in the closed-source components for now.

Last edited:
Not the 2.5 port, the 1G lan port is classified as a gaming port (it def does something Bc my ping goes up 2-5 which means it uses QoS

Why? Because they were right?

Do your own research. I have not been able to find any reference in Asus documentation for the AX86U for a game port. There is a game tab that, for me, has some useless settings. Even so I get a ping of 2.7 ms to a Speedtest server and on average of 107% of my specified bandwidth (100/100 Mbps) with FlexQOS. Gig is available here but why pay for 10X the bandwidth I have now when I have performance this good.
Gamers...you expect too much!

Do your own research. I have not been able to find any reference in Asus documentation for the AX86U for a game port. There is a game tab that, for me, has some useless settings. Even so I get a ping of 2.7 ms to a Speedtest server and on average of 107% of my specified bandwidth (100/100 Mbps) with FlexQOS. Gig is available here but why pay for 10X the bandwidth I have now when I have performance this good.
Gamers...you expect too much!
gaming port is LAN 1 ; any their are number of review videos even asus announcmenet video which includes it

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 9.18.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 9.18.16 PM.png
    186.8 KB · Views: 111
I agree with L&LD.

I just picked this router up today and have been messing with it, I see no diffrence in ping, or using QOS. It's the same as my broken ax88u, if you ask me? I have been using the gaming port too, forgot to add.

I have fiber 1 gig internet, and I play on pc and ps4 and ps5. The funny thing is I have to use QOS, the bandwidth limiter for the ps4 and ps5. I limit the bandwidthg to 35 down and 30 up, for some reason my online games play 100% better then just using the regular AD QOS or not using QOS at all. I have been doing this since the ps3 days with asus routers. On pc I have no issues at using qos or not, my ping is always below 15 ping on most onlinew games, depending on the server region I join.

It could be that the console cant handle the 1 gig, dont know but it's always worked for me and some of my friends that also use asus routers.

Here is a pic of the speedtest with QOS on.

Attachments

• Screenshot (26)_LI.jpg
    Screenshot (26)_LI.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 133
I agree with L&LD.

I just picked this router up today and have been messing with it, I see no diffrence in ping, or using QOS. It's the same as my broken ax88u, if you ask me? I have been using the gaming port too, forgot to add.

I have fiber 1 gig internet, and I play on pc and ps4 and ps5. The funny thing is I have to use QOS, the bandwidth limiter for the ps4 and ps5. I limit the bandwidthg to 35 down and 30 up, for some reason my online games play 100% better then just using the regular AD QOS or not using QOS at all. I have been doing this since the ps3 days with asus routers. On pc I have no issues at using qos or not, my ping is always below 15 ping on most onlinew games, depending on the server region I join.

It could be that the console cant handle the 1 gig, dont know but it's always worked for me and some of my friends that also use asus routers.

Here is a pic of the speedtest with QOS on.
Yes but the the entire argument was them calling me a liar and that the gaming port didn’t exist and was just marketing smoke. When in fact it does have some port based QoS that I was asking Merlin or someone to just look at.

I see, did not really get that from the responses, but I get it. No worries I was just putting my 2 cents in.

When manufacturers 'create' things out of thin air, that is the smoke some people believe in.

Yes, it's there.

But it's not. For all practical purposes.