1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Qos maximum speed threshold

Discussion in 'ASUS AC Routers & Adapters' started by Find the Door, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Find the Door

Find the Door Senior Member

Hi all,

I have Gigabit down and 42 up currently on Docsis 3.1 (implemented) via Comcast. I'm using FreshJRs latest script and Merlins latest firmware on my AC86U and SB8200.

I've noticed that the only way I can get good performance for bufferbloat is to neuter my connection speeds to 110/30. This seems excessive for having such a big downstream pipe? Is this due to a CPU limitation on the router? If I take it any higher bufferbloat leads to significant spikes in testing.

At this point the only thing I can surmise is that the router isn't capable of inspecting packets to that degree. Is there a problem in the first place without Qos - yes there is. Whenever someone starts to stream those packets are being prioritized and I'm getting lag on games unfortunately that's what I'm trying to alleviate.

2. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

FreshJR recommends that Gbps connections not use any QoS, even if using his script. ;)

I would disable QoS, remove the FreshJR QoS script and if you haven't performed a full reset to factory defaults after installing the 384.10_2 firmware, I would do so now and make sure to check the box that says 'Initialize all settings...' too.

Please see my signature for links and further details below.

Clark Griswald likes this.
  3. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

I have the vastly inferior RT-AC68U and can get A+ for buffer bloat at 200/20. And I'm using traditional QoS on John's fork which doesn't benefit from hardware acceleration! So there's something wrong with your setup, or internet feed.