What's new

Questions regarding Netgear X8 R8300 vs. R8500

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Derski

New Around Here
Hey all!

Recently was doing some research into getting a new router to replace the Wifi I was using with my Xfinity service. After some reading and price checking I was able to go on Amazon and pick up an X8 with same day shipping, however after looking deeper after doing the purchase I found it was the R8300 model, which initially didn't bother me too much as I compared the specs and the main differences I see are that the 2.4ghz is only 600 on the R8300 vs 1000 on the 8500 and it has one less USB port. Aside from that everything looks basically the same. As I was waiting for it to arrive I was searching around for more info about it so I could start to game plan how I was going to configure it, where to place it, what settings to use ETC and I found there is literally next to no information on this model anywhere, most searches for it point to the R8500 instead. To be honest this has be a bid disconcerted as the only real database of info I have on it is Amazons reviews and id rather not have that as my basis as to what is considered good vs bad. I haven't opened the box yet and part of me is inclined to send it back and just get the 8500 since its easier to find all sorts of info regarding it (and I can use different firmware on it if I decide to go that route).

Ultimately I guess what im really looking for is what would you guys do in this situation? The hardware specs are basically negligible between the 2 so im stuck on the fence on what to do.

The R8300 was originally a Costco-exclusive model. Costco likes to sell things for less than their competitors and one way that they can do this without hurting Netgear's sales at competitors is to disable certain features to make the cheaper version slightly less attractive. The R8300 is nearly identical to the R8500. The loss of non-standard TurboQAM and NitroQAM on 2.4GHz 802.11n is very unlikely to have any effect on your experience with this product since very few adapters also have these features and an extremely good signal is required for them to work. The missing USB port probably isn't a big deal either since a USB hub would give you more ports, if needed. If you saved money by buying the R8300 instead of the R8500 then I wouldn't worry about it.

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/List_of_Costco_Exclusive_Wireless_Devices
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Netgear_R8300

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!