What's new

Recommended Dual WAN Failover Mobile Devices (USB, etc)?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Livin

Looking to leverage the Ranger's Dual WAN Script and hoping people can help me, and others, by recommending solid/reliable USB/Ethernet base LTE devices that work with the ASUS Merlin FW?

Please mention what region(s) your device works with, by default (not requiring modification)

TIA!

I've been USB tethering Pixel phones for years while camping with an AC68U running Asuswrt-Merlin without issue. Pro tip: enable developer options and then set the default USB mode to USB tethering. Will save you a few clicks each time the phone connects to the router.

I have recently used a ZTE MF833U1 and am now using a Zyxel LTE5388-M804.

Both work very well indeed.

I settled on the Zyxel because it has a built in telephone socket and slightly better reception.

The ZTE is USB the Zyxel is Ethernet, so they tested both forms of fail-over with the Asus. I had no problems with either.

Perhaps the most important thing with the modems is which service you get. The best service is not necessarily the closest tower. Also, some SIMs are not dedicated broadband and require activation in a phone before use. Also, in my country, dedicated broadband SIM's, the data allocation tends to be valid for longer, which may be exactly what you need for fail-over. I buy SIMs that last two years without any top-up or use.