What's new

[Release] AB-Solution 3 - The Ad Blocking Solution

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do as I say, delete the jffs files and start from scratch.
Instead of deleting the jffs files, it might be best to reformat the jffs partion just to be sure there is not a problem with it.
In Administration / System, click 'Format JFFS partition at next boot' and reboot the router.
Then install AB again.
Will do, i will take a look at post-mount file once i format jffs partition and do fresh install.

Will do, i will take a look at post-mount file once i format jffs partition and do fresh install.
Just remember to delete or completely rename the entware folder on your USB device before installing pixelserv.
It'll be fine after that.

Just remember to delete or completely rename the entware folder on your USB device before installing pixelserv.
It'll be fine after that.
Must have been the jffs partition as rebooted three times after jffs format and fresh install and all is good :)

I'm assuming the entware folder i renamed before starting a fresh if i restore it back it will have all my stats etc or no? just wondering why i would want to restore it back otherwise.

Cheers

Must have been the jffs partition as rebooted three times after jffs format and fresh install and all is good :)

I'm assuming the entware folder i renamed before starting a fresh if i restore it back it will have all my stats etc or no? just wondering why i would want to restore it back otherwise.

Cheers
Good!
There are no pixelserv stats, except the ones in a current session. If PS is restarted, counting starts from scratch.
PS does not provide a log facility as dnsmasq does.

You can safely delete the old Entware folder. Nothing of interest or further use in it.

Good!
There are no pixelserv stats, except the ones in a current session. If PS is restarted, counting starts from scratch.
PS does not provide a log facility as dnsmasq does.

You can safely delete the old Entware folder. Nothing of interest or further use in it.

Okie Dokie, many thanks for all your help much appreciated. :)

Hi @thelonelycoder! I can't thank you enough for this tool! That being said, I've found something odd in the stats: I have a client that requests a static IP that is also reserved in the router for another client (no harm done, its actually 2 interfaces of the same client, and they are never turned both on) and when that happens the following line appears in dnsmasq.log:
Code:
Jan 31 05:20:10 dnsmasq-dhcp[20519]: not giving name pi3 to the DHCP lease of 10.***.***.234 because the name exists in /etc/hosts.dnsmasq with address 10.***.***.31
For some reason, that causes the stat file to wrongly believe "giving" is the noisiest name client for that IP
Reproducing it is quite easy, just add a lot of entries with that form to dnsmasq.log and run the stats

For some reason, that causes the stat file to wrongly believe "giving" is the noisiest name client for that IP
Reproducing it is quite easy, just add a lot of entries with that form to dnsmasq.log and run the stats
Let's wait and see what the new stats algorithm will do to your problem. A lot changes with AB3.1.
Report back then. We'll go from there.

Just what to say thank you thelonelycoder for the amount of work & time you have put into AB-Solution it's amazing.

@thelonelycoder First thanks for your work on AB-Solution.
I'm not sure how many of the PI-Hole lists are currently included. But maybe if any are missing they could also be added to AB-Solution.?

https://github.com/pi-hole/pi-hole/blob/master/adlists.default
You are free to add them yourself. The (h) option has a selection of combined hosts files to use.
Select Custom Type and you can add as many as your router can bear to your own customized list.
Keep in mind that it is unwise to go larger than the comined hosts files in the 'Large' option.

Your router just has not enough cpu power and RAM to handle a million blocked hosts as the Pi does.

Whatever list you add, make sure the blocking IP is either 0.0.0.0 or 127.0.0.1. This is important!

By manually removing the top two lines (they are comments), then adding 0.0.0.0 at the beginning of each line, like so:
Code:
0.0.0.0 1-cl0ud.com #Lead Forensics
0.0.0.0 1-creative-1.com #Lead Forensics
0.0.0.0 103bees.com #Tracker Unknown
0.0.0.0 105app.com #Tracker Unknown
0.0.0.0 10cms.com #Amplience
0.0.0.0 123-tracker.com #Lead Forensics
0.0.0.0 123count.com #SpidersWatchp
0.0.0.0 161media.com #161 Media
0.0.0.0 1800omniture.com #Adobe
0.0.0.0 1s3h4f7sl.com #HelloWorld
0.0.0.0 200summit.com #Lead Forensics
0.0.0.0 206ads.com #Advertising Unknown

Then host the file somewhere accessible, select Custom as your hosts file type and put the link into your custom_hosts_list.txt.
Then run (u) to run it.

I would not recommend it though, who updates this file for you regularly?

Thanks! It's an exercise in patience, endurance, pure will power. And fun to do too.
A bearded and experienced UNIX guy wrote in some forum post that any shell script file above 200 lines is not recommended.
ab-solution alone has beyond 3500 lines. I have not counted the lines in the addon files...

Heavenly Flirking Snit!

Instead of deleting the jffs files, it might be best to reformat the jffs partion just to be sure there is not a problem with it.
In Administration / System, click 'Format JFFS partition at next boot' and reboot the router.
Then install AB again.
it seems I'm having the same issues as u/Netbug since trying to follow u/TeHashX's instructions on adding a swap file to entware on another site; once AB 3.1 is released, I'll follow these instructions and re-install the new, awsomer AB with ps...the swap file caused the RAM usage on my n66u to spike and stay in the 70% range and bogged my network down.

I love this place...thanks to all who make it what it is!

Heavenly Flirking Snit!
The first released beta version of AB-Solution, then called AdBlock-wchfa for lack of a better name, had 441 lines and a functioning but essentially featureless menu.

AB3.1 beta v20, the code I'm working on and will soon hand out to the beta test team is at 4307 lines.
All four addon files:
log-stats.add: 317
pixelserv-tls.add: 1119
rotate-logs.add: 75
update-hosts.add: 223

Grand total: 6014 lines of Almquist shell (the shell used in BusyBox) compatible code.
Welcome to AB-Solution 3.1 - The Ad Blocking Solution*

*) No release date set, don't ask, it will be worth the wait, believe me!

Then install AB again.

And a reminder to all you men and women to remove those USB drives when performing a firmware update! I was rushed the other day in trying to fix an issue and went back a FW version, then back to the version I had installed. Now, one USB drive is unusable. I was able to reinstall entware. But got an error on reinstalling ab-solution 3. I reformatted the jffs partition to start clean after the teachers had gone home and will pick it up tomorrow. I do have a back up if needed.

REMOVE those USB drives when performing firware updates! I've got lucky in the past but this ended up being a pain in the arse!

And a reminder to all you men and women to remove those USB drives when performing a firmware update! I was rushed the other day in trying to fix an issue and went back a FW version, then back to the version I had installed. Now, one USB drive is unusable. I was able to reinstall entware. But got an error on reinstalling ab-solution 3. I reformatted the jffs partition to start clean after the teachers had gone home and will pick it up tomorrow. I do have a back up if needed.

REMOVE those USB drives when performing firware updates! I've got lucky in the past but this ended up being a pain in the arse!
I support your advice.
But I am lazy in that regard and do up/downgrades regularly on some of my routers.
Never once did I have a problem afterwards with jffs or an attached device.

But for peace of mind: Better save than sorry.

By manually removing the top two lines (they are comments), then adding 0.0.0.0 at the beginning of each line, like so:
Code:
0.0.0.0 1-cl0ud.com #Lead Forensics
0.0.0.0 1-creative-1.com #Lead Forensics
0.0.0.0 103bees.com #Tracker Unknown
0.0.0.0 105app.com #Tracker Unknown
0.0.0.0 10cms.com #Amplience
0.0.0.0 123-tracker.com #Lead Forensics
0.0.0.0 123count.com #SpidersWatchp
0.0.0.0 161media.com #161 Media
0.0.0.0 1800omniture.com #Adobe
0.0.0.0 1s3h4f7sl.com #HelloWorld
0.0.0.0 200summit.com #Lead Forensics
0.0.0.0 206ads.com #Advertising Unknown

Then host the file somewhere accessible, select Custom as your hosts file type and put the link into your custom_hosts_list.txt.
Then run (u) to run it.

I would not recommend it though, who updates this file for you regularly?

And what's the fastest way to add 0.0.0.0 to all address lines?

After adding the link from this custom list to the custom_hosts_list file is it possible to use this list in conjunction with the list I currently have to work with?

And what's the fastest way to add 0.0.0.0 to all address lines?

After adding the link from this custom list to the custom_hosts_list file is it possible to use this list in conjunction with the list I currently have to work with?
On your router:
Place this new file without the comments on top someplace.
Then run this in a terminal, where 0.0.0.0 is your PS IP if you have it on, else leave the null IP:
Code:
sed -i  's/^/0.0.0.0 /' /somplace/file

Now, you could append this file to the blacklist, although I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT:
Code:
cat /someplace/file >> /path/to/blacklist.txt

Be aware that the blacklist.txt file will not get updated automatically every week, that is your job if you want to update it.
Also, the (el) function for editing the blacklist would be cumbersome, it might even crash the app.

If you have the file hosted somewhere, then this is the best option.
Else, the blacklist.txt is your only way.
As stated I do not recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.