What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.68 is available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Possible Issue with upgrade from RT-AC3200 Merlin firmware 380.67 to 380.68.

Updated to 380.68 and everything seemed to be running smoothly for many hours. However a household member couldn't access www.costco.com & www.angieslist.com. Browser displays "Access Denied: You don't have permission to access "http://www.xxx.com/" on this server". Tried several different computers and browsers. Same issue. Using a mobile device switched off of network and connected to sites via phone carrier...connected no problem. Tried different DNS services with same issue. Downgraded to 380.67 but with same settings... same issue. At this point, saved my settings, did reset to factory defaults, restored settings...same issue. So reset to factory defaults again and manually inputted enough settings for internet access, tried above web pages. They worked! Upgraded to 380.68 and tried above web sites...nope didn't work...gave "access denied by server".

So my conclusion was 380.68 has some sort of issue which "blocks" these web sites (maybe more). Most of my personal browsing didn't run into any issue. Just these two sites a household member tried to access.

So downgraded back to 380.67 and reset back to factory defaults. Manually inputted all my previous settings. Currently works like a charm. So don't know what's up?

PS: Haven't had any issues with my radio settings or disconnects. Yet.....
I am running 380.68 on my router and I am able to access the above sites. So the problem is not in the FW.

Browser displays "Access Denied: You don't have permission to access "http://www.xxx.com/" on this server". Tried several different computers and browsers.
Depending on your ISP, each time you reboot the router you may receive a different WAN IP address (with my provider, I get a new address nearly every reboot, others less frequently). The address you were given when you were having problems was likely 'blacklisted' by those sites or their hosting service.

I know that there are plenty of other wifi-networks around so I wanted to check the site survey to check the channels.
I can start the site survey but no results are shown - it doesn´t matter if I use active oder passive scan mode.
Any ideas why it´s not working anymore?
Site survey won't work if you have MAC address filtering enabled.

I have not update to this, gona give it another week to make sure my ISP speed are stable before I start updateing FW again, But does any one know IF 380.68 Bandwidth limiter seem to by passing CTF/ NAT Acceleration? Specifically on a AC66U, There is no way Bandwidth limiting client to 15/15 should be causing router cpu to hit 75-90+ load when said client are downloading at that speeds, Clients not limited that can go 50-100mbit barely pushing 30% load I noticed this in the last 2 FW i used 380.66_2 and 380.67 I wasnt like that in prior FW cause I would noticed the router config page changing and snails pace and web pages loading slow on wired client then too.

Before only time I ever saw that kind load is when Traditional QOS was on which peaks at about 100-110 mbit which has router cpu load at 100%, With CTF on and QOS off 200mbit only put about 55-60% load on CPU

I'm confused about the FW 382 version information. It reads to me as if we are coming to the end of RMerlin's FW builds IF we want to stay current with the most recent FW core. There will be two options, Asus most recent ones, like 382, or RMerlin's that will be based on the FW prior to 382. I'm not saying that is the case, just that it reads that way so wanted to ask.

I'm confused about the FW 382 version information. It reads to me as if we are coming to the end of RMerlin's FW builds IF we want to stay current with the most recent FW core. There will be two options, Asus most recent ones, like 382, or RMerlin's that will be based on the FW prior to 382. I'm not saying that is the case, just that it reads that way so wanted to ask.

No decision has been made yet regarding 382, because there's a lot of variables over which I have no control and there's no information available yet from Asus to make any decision.

Come what may, I for one'll be staying with Our Leader.

RMerlin, Right? If so, then agreed 100% :)

Here in USA we have learned the hard way, that we need to clarify with whom we are aligning.
I'm for Roy Wally 2020. The Moose out front should've told you!

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. Fry's Electronics by me has the Asus Wireless-AC3200 on sale for a rather aggressive low price. Was trying to create a bit of context as I decide whether to buy one. FW is involved in creating that context.

I do not use HTTPS. My theory is its running out of NVRAM, I purchased a USB thumb drive Hoping to move JFFS stuff over to it. I haven't done this yet. I Presume its using a portion of NVRAM for JFFS. I dont know, as a fact? All I know is that version 380.66_6 does not do this. and anything newer, does. After a few days of uptime the web gui becomes unavailable. Very frustrating.
I've gone back to RT-AC3100_380.66_6 that does NOT have this issue.

RT-AC3100_380.66_4, RT-AC3100_380.66_2, and RT-AC3100_380.65_4 have missing icons.

Web interface Appears to first break with RT-AC3100_380.67_0.

RT-AC3100_380.66_4, RT-AC3100_380.66_2, and RT-AC3100_380.65_4 have missing icons.

Web interface Appears to first break with RT-AC3100_380.67_0.

I have used all the above mentioned firmwares on my AC3100 and none of them had missing icons.

Newbie Alert - First Post

Hi Guys, I just purchased this router the following router and was hoping to use it to do things that I do not believe are supported by the stock FW buy may be by MerlinFW:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019MKO43M/?tag=smallncom-21

First question is an easy one, which FW version from the 'downloads' page is applicable to my router? When clicking on downloads, I see a list of supported models and there are two names that match the router i have purchased:

RT-AC3100
RT-AC88U

Both the same or do I need to use one over the other?

Last question, I would like to use my router with a VPN service provider using policy based rules. I would like traffic originating from one device to go via the VPN whereas all other devices to go out direct to the internet. Could you advise based on your vast experience, which MerlinFW you would suggest I go with? I see the latest one was released a few days back however, sometimes the shiny new toy isn't the best one to buy therefore I would welcome your suggestions please. Is there one golden version that is the most stable/reliable FW that can do all I need or should i just go with the latest?

Newbie Alert - First Post

Hi Guys, I just purchased this router the following router and was hoping to use it to do things that I do not believe are supported by the stock FW buy may be by MerlinFW:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019MKO43M/?tag=smallncom-21

First question is an easy one, which FW version from the 'downloads' page is applicable to my router? When clicking on downloads, I see a list of supported models and there are two names that match the router i have purchased:

RT-AC3100
RT-AC88U

Both the same or do I need to use one over the other?

Last question, I would like to use my router with a VPN service provider using policy based rules. I would like traffic originating from one device to go via the VPN whereas all other devices to go out direct to the internet. Could you advise based on your vast experience, which MerlinFW you would suggest I go with? I see the latest one was released a few days back however, sometimes the shiny new toy isn't the best one to buy therefore I would welcome your suggestions please. Is there one golden version that is the most stable/reliable FW that can do all I need or should i just go with the latest?
Welcome to snbforums!

You want the firmware for the AC88U model. 380.68 Release is the latest version.

I use policy based rules for VPN by LAN client IP address using the web gui and another by domain name using a script. There is a set-up guide at the top of the VPN forums. I wrote one specific to TorGuard.

To further supercharge your router, check out Skynet firewall add on and AB-Solution for ad blocking. The support threads are in this forum.

I just discovered a weird error in the WebUI:
WAN configuration page, - if the HostName field has any letters capitalized, the pages indicates an error:
Router login name only accept alphanumeric characters, under line and dash symbol. The first character cannot be dash "-" or under line
"_".

Expected behavior:
Either capital letters should be allowed, or the error message should include the them as being excluded.

I don't know when this happened. I suspect it was not the latest release that broke it, most likely a few releases back. I've had the hostname configured with some capital letters for ages. It's not a big deal, but rather annoying.

I just discovered a weird error in the WebUI:
WAN configuration page, - if the HostName field has any letters capitalized, the pages indicates an error:

Expected behavior:
Either capital letters should be allowed, or the error message should include the them as being excluded.

I don't know when this happened. I suspect it was not the latest release that broke it, most likely a few releases back. I've had the hostname configured with some capital letters for ages. It's not a big deal, but rather annoying.

Just out of curiosity: do you need to specify a hostname for your ISP in the 'Special Requirements for ISP' settings on the WAN page? As in, does your ISP require login credentials? If your looking to change the name of your router on your local LAN, you're on the wrong page, you need to change it here: http://router.asus.com/Advanced_LAN_Content.asp (LAN > LAN IP > Device name, accepts lower and capital case, numbers and underscores, if I'm not mistaking).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!