What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.68 is available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have just noticed a minor error with the interface and layout with the new firmware and affects Asus Ac 3200

Network Status Ethernet Ports
Lan ports are wrong way round as to what is actually connected
Screenshot (22).png

Lan 1 is showing unplugged
Lan 4 is showing connected

Router Ac 3200
Actual connections to back of the router
Lan 1 is connected and Lan 4 is unplugged

Looks like it's listing connections wrong way

Lan 4 is actually what is connected to Lan 1
Lan 3 is actually what is connected to Lan 2
Lan 2 is actually what is connected to Lan 3
Lan 1 is actually what is connected to Lan 4

In tools
Network connections are fine and correct way as to what is connected
Lan 1 is connected
Lan 4 is down

Last edited:
@RMerlin Just ran a site survey, to see if I can set some fixed channels for both bands, and noticed only surrounding 2.4Ghz networks are shown. Is that on purpose or isn't it possible with Asus to show both bands

Make sure you didn't enable MAC filtering on the 5 GHz band. Site Survey will properly scan both bands.

I have just noticed a minor error with the interface and layout with the new firmware and affects Asus Ac 3200

Network Status Ethernet Ports
Lan ports are wrong way round as to what is actually connected
View attachment 10280

Lan 1 is showing unplugged
Lan 4 is showing connected

Router Ac 3200
Actual connections to back of the router
Lan 1 is connected and Lan 4 is unplugged

Looks like it's listing connections wrong way

Lan 4 is actually what is connected to Lan 1
Lan 3 is actually what is connected to Lan 2
Lan 2 is actually what is connected to Lan 3
Lan 1 is actually what is connected to Lan 4

In tools
Network connections are fine and correct way as to what is connected
Lan 1 is connected
Lan 4 is down

Confirmed on my AC3200 , same issue , hadn't noticed before.

Last edited:
Thanks. I think I'll just remove that port report, as it has too many quirks (there's also the lack of report for 10 Mbps connections). The information will still be available on the Sysinfo page. Maybe I'll re-add it once Asus polishes it a bit more.

Can someone help me regarding an ASUS RT-AC3100. It is running the latest firmware (380.68). Running top you can see that the process "PID 5332 roamast" is hanging on 49% of core 2 constantly. I could kill the process but I don't know what it is or if there could be a setting to change. Any ideas? No settings are really changed from stock settings.

Attachments

• roamast.PNG
    roamast.PNG
    176.8 KB · Views: 656
Can someone help me regarding an ASUS RT-AC3100. It is running the latest firmware (380.68). Running top you can see that the process "PID 5332 roamast" is hanging on 49% of core 2 constantly. I could kill the process but I don't know what it is or if there could be a setting to change. Any ideas? No settings are really changed from stock settings.

Most likely this is the Roaming Assistant. Do you have one or more Access Points in addition to your Router on your network? If not, disable it in the Professional tab under wi-fi settings for both channels and see if it goes away.

-Network Place samba share cloud disk tab
I couldn't change two of the options on an iPhone, iPad, or an android phone
1.) Enable SMB2 protocol
2.) Simpler share naming

No problem changing either of these here on my Android tablet.

I took a look at the code, and don't see anything special about these two options. I did see two stray HTML tags nearby that shouldn't be there, so I removed them in case they might interfere with some browsers.

UPnP Service Disabled (scan: No, configuration: Enable UPnP - No)

Works for me. Enable Dual WAN, and make sure you disable UPnP for both interfaces, then re-disable Dual WAN. I know it used to be picky about Dual WAN checks.

Anonymous login to FTP share disabled (scan: No, configuration: Allow anonymous login - Off)

Also works correctly for me.

Anyone else can confirm their results?

I just discovered a weird error in the WebUI:
WAN configuration page, - if the HostName field has any letters capitalized, the pages indicates an error:

Expected behavior:
Either capital letters should be allowed, or the error message should include the them as being excluded.

I don't know when this happened. I suspect it was not the latest release that broke it, most likely a few releases back. I've had the hostname configured with some capital letters for ages. It's not a big deal, but rather annoying.

I can make the validation case-insensitive, however you should be fine entering it all lowercase for the time being - hostnames and domainnames are case-insensitive (and generally used in lowercase for consistency).

MarCo,
I see my 5ghz channels on the site survey for two routers. It is probably the issue of 5ghz trying to pass thru the concrete wall. Try one of the wifi phone apps and see what it reports for comparison purposes.

Thanks for checking @Xentrk, I checked on several 5Ghz capable devices for available networks (see below), installed the iOS Airport Utility which has a hidden scanner built in (see Settings > Airport Utility > Enable Wifi Scanner and return to the app). Downloaded LinSSID on a Ubuntu box with an 802.11ac wireless NIC and all confirm there are several 5Ghz networks nearby.

Make sure you didn't enable MAC filtering on the 5 GHz band. Site Survey will properly scan both bands.

I was aware of that @RMerlin (thanks for the reminder though), but I don't use MAC filtering on either bands, as I personally believe it only gives people a false sense of security. I checked available networks on several 5Ghz capable devices and several are found, including the lady's next door. As well as some other scanning, see above. As expected, there are much less 5Ghz networks shown, compared to 2.4Ghz, but there are several to be found, yet the site survey displays none.The 5Ghz radio is active, all AC-capable devices use it and only fall back to the other band when the signal gets weak. Any other settings that could be of influence?

Any other settings that could be of influence?

Not that I can think of, sorry.

The data comes from the wireless driver, I just sort it into a table for display.

Not that I can think of, sorry.

The data comes from the wireless driver, I just sort it into a table for display.

No worries, it's not such a big deal, not that much interference on the 5Ghz band anyway, so I might just leave it at Auto.

Any cli-fu magic that I can try, like

Code:
sudo iw wlan0 scan

on an Ubuntu box?

Thanks. I think I'll just remove that port report, as it has too many quirks (there's also the lack of report for 10 Mbps connections). The information will still be available on the Sysinfo page. Maybe I'll re-add it once Asus polishes it a bit more.

Just a note on this... The port report does appear to work correctly on my 88U, but is reversed on my 87U. However, I believe the 87U has its ports reversed internally, so I think this is actually working correctly for the 87U. Maybe it is a bug limited to just the 3200U that needs to be corrected?

ust a note on this... The port report does appear to work correctly on my 88U, but is reversed on my 87U. However, I believe the 87U has its ports reversed internally, so I think this is actually working correctly for the 87U. Maybe it is a bug limited to just the 3200U that needs to be corrected?

Yes, the port order issue seems limited to the AC3200. Asus wasn't properly inverting LAN ports for that particular model.

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/commit/42747bd59ab4259263c253e1c4ceae211c62b28e

The applet wont even work, it doesn't show and it messes up the rest of the UI so I had to uninstall it so the UI should work properly. I am using their openvpn config file instead. I opened a ticket with astrill and they said it could take them months to update their applet very frustrating

The only way to speed up the process is for all Merlin / Astrill users to log support tickets with Astrill.

This is why I havn't updated yet.

The Applet is actually pretty cool, eg. very easily assign one SSID to local internet and the other to the VPN tunnel.

But it does have issues as well, eg. constant problems for the applet to talk to the API server to actually carry out the instruction.

Obviously any changes that Astrill might make, will also need to incorporate the 382 branch - so you're right - it will be months.

The only way to speed up the process is for all Merlin / Astrill users to log support tickets with Astrill.

This is why I havn't updated yet.

The Applet is actually pretty cool, eg. very easily assign one SSID to local internet and the other to the VPN tunnel.

But it does have issues as well, eg. constant problems for the applet to talk to the API server to actually carry out the instruction.

Obviously any changes that Astrill might make, will also need to incorporate the 382 branch - so you're right - it will be months.
everyone can simply send an email to support@astrill so yeah when enough people report that they should take it more serious.

everyone can simply send an email to support@astrill so yeah when enough people report that they should take it more serious.

I'm sure they do take it seriously already. The problem here is their plugin is implemented as a hack on top of the firmware, because the firmware offers no third party plugin support. They will first need to analyze the (extensive) changes involved, and then figure out a way to hack it again on top of this new infrastructure. These things take time, and there's never any guarantee as it relies on hacks and workarounds.

I'm sure they do take it seriously already. The problem here is their plugin is implemented as a hack on top of the firmware, because the firmware offers no third party plugin support. They will first need to analyze the (extensive) changes involved, and then figure out a way to hack it again on top of this new infrastructure. These things take time, and there's never any guarantee as it relies on hacks and workarounds.
Thanks for clarifying, sounds way more complicated than I thought

I just sent an Email to a contact I have at Astrill offering them my help if they need more information on the new menu code.

Got a response from my contact: they already are testing an updated plugin which is working fine so far, so expect an update in the near future.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!