What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 384.19 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 28 09:07:29 ovpn-client2[4084]: Linux ifconfig inet6 failed: external program exited with error status: 1

Disable IPv6 support on that client.

Code:
pull-filter ignore "ifconfig-ipv6"
pull-filter ignore "router-ipv6"

Aug 28 09:36:24 ovpn-client2[14058]: Options error: You must define CA file (--ca) or CA path (--capath)

This one is missing the CA certificate.

Disable IPv6 support on that client.

Code:
pull-filter ignore "ifconfig-ipv6"
pull-filter ignore "router-ipv6"

This one is missing the CA certificate.

Thanks, my biggest issue was that this change with the new firmware altering the JFFS partition coincided with me downloading a new config file for the VPN client. The issues that I started to experience were not related to the JFFS partition, or the implementation of changes made to the OpenVPN code, but were related to the changes made by the AIRVPN config file that I downloaded.
I'm not sure if I would have recognised the issue even if they had announced a change in the way their config file generates to include IPv6.

The second point you noted about that one missing a certificate was when I restored the default settings back to the "Client 1" VPN. It was still trying to connect even though the green "ON" button was greyed out, due to the noted IPv6 iisues.

Works great now, with the noted IPv6 changes.

Thanks for the IPv6 disabling code you provided. Would that be placed within the Custom Config window within the VPN client...?

I'll mail AIRVPN to ask what has changed in the way they generate their config files.

Last edited:
I doubt the OpenVPN changes are contributing to the issue you are having. The NTPD issue is probably due to the router not having WAN access since the authentication step hasn't been performed.

Several releases back, some ntpd issues were resolved by setting the item below to "No"
Tools -> Other Settings -> Wan: Use local caching DNS server as system resolver (default: No)

I use a GLiNet travel router when staying at hotels and always have issues with the splash screens. The OpenWRT firmware on my travel router has a repeater mode. I usually have to connect to the hotel wifi first and note the IP address of the splash page. After I connect a device to the travel router, I then go a browser and enter the IP address of the splash page and authenticate. After that, all devices that connect to the travel router can then logon.

I'd tend to agree with you but, again this morning all I had to do was reboot the router and the login/splash page appeared... Doesn't work that way on 384.19... But, I'm still looking/troubleshooting... :^)

Also, the link I see for the login page is about six miles long and captures MAC addresses along with other info... Appears to be a bit more invasive compared to a simple login page... It's been a while since I have had to deal/work with hotel login/splash screens.

Best, David

Thanks, my biggest issue was that this change with the new firmware altering the JFFS partition coincided with me downloading a new config file for the VPN client. The issues that I started to experience were not related to the JFFS partition, or the implementation of changes made to the OpenVPN code, but were related to the changes made by the AIRVPN config file that I downloaded.
I'm not sure if I would have recognised the issue even if they had announced a change in the way their config file generates to include IPv6.

The second point you noted about that one missing a certificate was when I restored the default settings back to the "Client 1" VPN. It was still trying to connect even though the green "ON" button was greyed out, due to the noted IPv6 iisues.

Works great now, with the noted IPv6 changes.

Thanks for the IPv6 disabling code you provided. Would that be placed within the Custom Config window within the VPN client...?

I'll mail AIRVPN to ask what has changed in the way they generate their config files.

if you select advanced mode you can choose IPv4 only
Screenshot 2020-08-28 at 19.20.39.png

^^^ That is useful to know. Thanks for that :)

I had never considered the need, nor probably noticed, their advanced settings before.

Offtopic.
Is it difficult for you guys to post your insane huge logs inside spoiler or code tags?
For those who visit this forums on mobile phone is a pita to try to understand anything. So, instead of trying to help, I simply scroll down and don't read.
Thanks

^^^ Thank you. Somewhere I missed the "format JFFS and then restore"... I saw the "restore"... I'm not sharp enough to have realized you guys also meant "format". Looks like I have some work this weekend to make sure this is done correctly.

Sorry about the length of my first recent post, I have gone back and used the "spoiler" tags to try and shorten it for those using mobiles. I never visit this site on anything other than a PC so would not have thought of that, altho I did use thumbnails when posting the screens.
Hopefully that will help :)

Added an AIMesh Node with a second RT-AC5300 with Merlin 384.19 yesterday and the setup went great.
As someone noted earlier I also had to Enable Roaming assistant to disconnect clients with RSSI lower than : -75 dBm to get it to pick up the clients I wanted.

I for 1 am thinking about the upcoming 386 new code base. That is a pretty exciting thing, with a lot of activity. The new code base sounds very cool.

Hi, I have not use my AC66u in 3 years cause it at other house, but I planing on getting new asus router ( due to my f@sat 5260 router unable to handle dns request reliably take router out equation and dns request are all reliable ) supported by merlin.

Am I reading documents right I just flash update like normal fw no more putty to do the update? what bout the backup utility that use putty is it all done via GUI now?, What about weekly router reset? i remeber having to set up a crono job via putty? or is via gui now?

I look forward to have asus router again that use merlin fw.

Out of curious how save it to use "asus" router app on ipad? usual only access router via wire connection but some times that pc might be off and I might need to access the router via ipad

sorry if this in wrong place i fiqure i just ask here seeing main question was in reguards to Merlin FW.

I've seen a discussion about this before and some users said that kind of RAM use was normal for Linux, while others hinted at a memory leak. My router (same model), has steady on 46% since last reboot 4 days ago. However I'm not running any amtm scripts. I did see that kind of RAM used on my router once though on a previous firmware, but not since moving to . 19.
Sorry I couldn't be more definitive, I'd hazard a guess that it's pretty normal though, and most likely will be linked to your use-case.
Yes it is normal. :) This question of "high" RAM usage comes up often. Here is one reply I posted to help understand Linux RAM use.
OK I get it now, thank you for linking me to that post. I tried to search for it before asking, but somehow there were no relevant results for me... Anyway, the router is operating normally, so I'm calm now :) Thanks!

Hi, I have not use my AC66u in 3 years cause it at other house, but I planing on getting new asus router ( due to my f@sat 5260 router unable to handle dns request reliably take router out equation and dns request are all reliable ) supported by merlin.

The AC66u is no longer supported by Merlin:,

The following models are no longer officially supported:
  • RT-N16
  • RT-N66U
  • RT-AC66U
  • RT-AC56U
I'm running John's fork of the firmware on my AC66u, it's very stable in my experience and is frequently updated http://www.snbforums.com/threads/fork-asuswrt-merlin-374-43-lts-releases-v44ea.18914/post-615166

Hi, everybody. Unfortunately, I had to go back to the .18 version because the .19 OpenVPN is very slow. For comparison, I apply tests on .19 and .18 versions
Router AC66U B1
SmartSelect_20200830-063524_Speedtest.jpg

SmartSelect_20200830-063557_Speedtest.jpg

Last edited:
Based on the changelog and comments, I'm taking away that I shouldn't try to update an RT-68U *through* a (needed) OpenVPN connection while I'm away. Seems like too many things could go wrong and I'd lose the VPN server. Concur?

I can also se a significant drop in speed (client) with 384.19 build. With same config as 384.18.

The link to download from Sourceforge isn’t currently working for me ‍:S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!