What's new

Remote Desktop over VPN problem using newest Merlin build 378.55

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MTBer04

Occasional Visitor
I have my remote desktop settings configured so that only local connections are allowed; port 80 is not forwarded to my desktop's static IP, so unless a device attempts to connect through LAN or over VPN, the connection fails.

If I'm physically outside my network, I establish a VPN connection from my iPhone or tablet using the built in ASUS OpenVPN server, then I can use the RDP client to connect to my computer. This works flawlessly on the stock ASUS firmware, but the connection fails using Merlin firmware. OpenVPN works, I draw a local IP from my LAN, and I can log into my router by entering its local IP, but Remote Desktop fails to connect.

Double checking to make sure the firmware is the issue, I've flashed back and forth between stock ASUS and Merlin firmware. Is this a bug, or was a setting added that I'm not aware of?

Thanks!

Edit- I should add that, using Merlin firmware, I was still able to connect to my desktop over RDP while connected to my network via wifi. However, connecting through VPN would not allow the RDP client to connect.

Last edited:
I have my remote desktop settings configured so that only local connections are allowed; port 80 is not forwarded to my desktop's static IP, so unless a device attempts to connect through LAN or over VPN, the connection fails.

If I'm physically outside my network, I establish a VPN connection from my iPhone or tablet using the built in ASUS OpenVPN server, then I can use the RDP client to connect to my computer. This works flawlessly on the stock ASUS firmware, but the connection fails using Merlin firmware. OpenVPN works, I draw a local IP from my LAN, and I can log into my router by entering its local IP, but Remote Desktop fails to connect.

Double checking to make sure the firmware is the issue, I've flashed back and forth between stock ASUS and Merlin firmware. Is this a bug, or was a setting added that I'm not aware of?

Thanks!

Edit- I should add that, using Merlin firmware, I was still able to connect to my desktop over RDP while connected to my network via wifi. However, connecting through VPN would not allow the RDP client to connect.
Works fine for me, I actually used RDP from work over VPN earlier today.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Works fine for me, I actually used RDP from work over VPN earlier today.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Well, that's my luck;) I doubt it matters, but I forgot to mention I'm using an AC87R. Ironically, your tweaks boosted my OpenVPN download speed by 10Mbps over a 4G verizon connection.

Are you trying to connect by name or IP?

Are you trying to connect by name or IP?

Connected by IP. I have my LAN set up with 10.0.0.0/8, and the desktop's static IP is 10.0.0.101. The VPN server distributes IPs on the 10.0.1.0 subnet. So, if I'm connecting over VPN, my device draws 10.0.1.x, which has always worked flawlessly. Upon flashing to Merlin, I can't connect through RDP over VPN, but RDP over Wifi still works.

Did you enable the Push Lan to clients option?

Connected by IP. I have my LAN set up with 10.0.0.0/8, and the desktop's static IP is 10.0.0.101. The VPN server distributes IPs on the 10.0.1.0 subnet. So, if I'm connecting over VPN, my device draws 10.0.1.x, which has always worked flawlessly. Upon flashing to Merlin, I can't connect through RDP over VPN, but RDP over Wifi still works.

If you have a 10.0.0.0/8 on the LAN, then you cannot also have a 10.0.1.0/24. You are having subnetting conflicts.

I recommend switching the LAN to a /24, as I highly doubt you need a whole /8.

If you have a 10.0.0.0/8 on the LAN, then you cannot also have a 10.0.1.0/24. You are having subnetting conflicts.

I recommend switching the LAN to a /24, as I highly doubt you need a whole /8.

...and the plot thickens. Switched my LAN from /8 to /24, and that broke my ability to connect with RDP over VPN even on the stock firmware. Flashed again to Merlin, same result. Switched back to /8, still couldn't connect, then flashed back to stock firmware. RDP over VPN works again. Thinking my network is cursed o_O

Edit: Didn't see your suggestion Zirescu. I'll try that.

Second Edit: "Push LAN to clients" was enabled by default.

Last edited:
...and the plot thickens. Switched my LAN from /8 to /24, and that broke my ability to connect with RDP over VPN even on the stock firmware. Flashed again to Merlin, same result. Switched back to /8, still couldn't connect, then flashed back to stock firmware. RDP over VPN works again. Thinking my network is cursed o_O

Edit: Didn't see your suggestion Zirescu. I'll try that.

Second Edit: "Push LAN to clients" was enabled by default.

If you run any security software on the desktop, make sure its firewall isn't blocking you.

Also, after changing your network configuration, don't forget to release/renew your client DHCP leases.

If you run any security software on the desktop, make sure its firewall isn't blocking you.

Also, after changing your network configuration, don't forget to release/renew your client DHCP leases.

Success! Flashed back to Merlin, changed subnet from /8 to /24, flushed DNS, released and renewed IP, then rebooted the router. I didn't touch the windows firewall or anti-virus.

Thankyou for the help!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!