What's new

ROG GT-AC5300 issues.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chr0n0s312

New Around Here
Good evening,

I hope it is OK I made a new thread here.

Let me start by saying I have the latest firmware installed.
Operation Mode: Wireless router Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.384_20648

I've searched and read everything I could find that had any similarities to my issues, so this is my "Last Hurrah" at a solution before giving up and switching manufacturers.

A few days after purchasing this router (Mid-January), I had issues with the router responding to anything...no LED's, no access to the GUI...so I did some device specific research and found the 30/30 Reset option...(hold reset button for 30 seconds, then unplug and continue holding reset, then plug back in while keeping button pressed...etc, for a total of 6 rounds). After doing this, I left the router unplugged for a full 24 hours, plugged it back in, went through the setup, and it worked like a charm for the next 2 months...

But, for the past month or so, I've had a slew of issues with the ROG AC-5300. Mainly, the 2.4G Network won't stay functional for more than 30 minutes (requiring a reboot). The LED's on the router are lit, but anything connected to the 2.4G goes from "Connected" to "Saved" and then to "Wifi Connection Failure". From the device perspective, Forgetting Network and trying to reconnect just takes it back to the "Saved" status, and refuses to reconnect. If I unplug the router for 30 seconds (because the reboot function from the interface doesn't respond) and plug it back in, the devices will connect, sometimes for only minutes, before once again, "Saved" status appears on all devices connected to the 2.4G Network (4 Devices - 2 Android Phones and 2 Kindles).

If I factory reset the router, and setup new networks, things work great for 30 minutes or so, then the same issues occur, without skipping a beat. My first thought was something was wrong with the routing table, or the DHCP stopped assigning IP's on this network, except now, for the past week, both 5G networks have started doing the same thing, except it would happen twice a day rather than every 30 min or so (like the 2.4G).

...and now, for the past 2 days, the entire router will reboot every few hours. The lights go out, and the startup sequence begins...a minute later, the router is up and running, but no 2.4G Network is broadcasting, yet the LED's on the router say differently. I look at the system logs, and I wish I understood more than I do. I have an IT background, and what I don't understand I can usually figure out, but I've been staring at this thing for too long and I'm hoping someone can help. The logs start with the current time and date, and when i scroll, it jumps back to February, and if I scroll further, it comes back to the current date but a different time.

I'm only 4 months invested here, and have the 2-yr warranty, but I would like to resolve these issues before returning the router, because when completely functional, I'm in love with this device.

I tried to be as clear and to the point here. If more info is needed, I can provide it.

Would Log pictures be helpful here? This is the latest that caught my attention.
log1.png

The issues you describe suggest a hardware fault.

You've done a factory default reset.

Maybe the power supply/adapter is faulty.

Otherwise, I'd call ASUS and get the router replaced.

OE

The issues you describe suggest a hardware fault.

You've done a factory default reset.

Maybe the power supply/adapter is faulty.

Otherwise, I'd call ASUS and get the router replaced.

OE
Thanks for the reply.
The power supply/adapter wouldn't cause the 2.4G to fail while leaving the 5G operational tho, right?

Maybe the power supply is responsible for the unpredictable reboots...would the system log record anything to do with the power supply?

Thanks for the reply.
The power supply/adapter wouldn't cause the 2.4G to fail while leaving the 5G operational tho, right?

Maybe the power supply is responsible for the unpredictable reboots...would the system log record anything to do with the power supply?

Poor power can cause electronics to misbehave in strange ways, as can a marginal/failing component.

If a hardware fault, you can't depend on system performance i.e. logging.

Call Tech Support and tell them what you are experiencing... they can help. I doubt a configuration change is going to clear the issues you are seeing... I assume you have tried to get a minimally configured router working and stable.

OE

Poor power can cause electronics to misbehave in strange ways, as can a marginal/failing component.

If a hardware fault, you can't depend on system performance i.e. logging.

Call Tech Support and tell them what you are experiencing... they can help. I doubt a configuration change is going to clear the issues you are seeing... I assume you have tried to get a minimally configured router working and stable.

OE
yeah, I left all the default settings alone. It was a troubleshooting step to rule out config issues.

Ive hooked my AC87R back up for now...

You wouldnt happen to have the most straight forward phone number or chat link for Asus support do you?

Thanks

yeah, I left all the default settings alone. It was a troubleshooting step to rule out config issues.

Ive hooked my AC87R back up for now...

You wouldnt happen to have the most straight forward phone number or chat link for Asus support do you?

Thanks

ASUS Tech Support.jpg

OE

What did you replace it with? Mine has run flawlessly since December now this week I am having WIFI dropping issues.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!