What's new

Route SSH through VPN Client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Torson

The big picture: 2 Asus routers - AC86U local and AX56U remote. Each router has a small (32GB) SSD attached to the USB 3 port.
I backup a small number of files to each router from their local networks. I run rsync (installed from Entware) through a cron job to backup remote files to the local router's storage.

That works well, but on the remote router on the Administration -> System tab I have SSH enabled on both the LAN and WAN interfaces.
On the local router VPN Client 4 connects to the OpenVPN server running on the remote router

What I'm trying to achieve is SSH through the VPN client 4 in order to have LAN only SSH on the remote router.
I used
Example 4 "Services hosted on the router may also be routed via the VPN, ...
as described at https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/wiki/Policy-based-Port-routing-(manual-method).

Here is the outcome (with SSH on the LAN interface only on the remote router)
Code:
asmin@RT-AC86U:/tmp/mnt/asus/conf# ssh -p XXXX -i /jffs/dropbear/msg2drb_db asmin@10.8.0.1

ssh: Connection to asmin@10.8.0.1:XXXX exited: Connect failed: Connection refused

...and the outcome with both LAN and WAN SSH enabled on the remote:
Code:
asmin@RT-AC86U:/tmp/mnt/asus/conf# ssh -p XXXX -i /jffs/dropbear/msg2drb_db asmin@10.8.0.1

ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AX56U 384.17_0 Sun Apr 26 02:27:47 UTC 2020
asmin@RT-AX56U:/tmp/home/root#

I'm also using Selective Routing over the first 3 VPN clients and WAN and that works well. Skynet, unbound and Scribe running smoothly on the AC86U.

If required, I can provide the RPDB rules, prerouting and client ovpn information.

Any pointers and suggestions, please?

Something needs to be adjusted in your VPN client or server settings. Without seeing your settings, I can't say much except to point you to the router-to-router bi-directional VPN how-to that I posted.

Something needs to be adjusted in your VPN client or server settings. Without seeing your settings, I can't say much except to point you to the router-to-router bi-directional VPN how-to that I posted.
Thanks for the pointer - I have it working now.
I believe there was a problem with SSH on 384.17 so I upgraded the remote router to 384.18 alpha1.
Then I configured the OpenVPN server 2 on the remote router for LAN only and followed the steps in your write-up at https://www.snbforums.com/threads/h...i-directional-router-to-router-openvpn.55400/.
Now SSH works through the OpenVPN client with LAN only configuration between the 2 routers.

Glad its working. Sorry I meant to post the link, but forgot.