What's new

RT-AC1900P - can't access login after RT-AC68U_386.2_6.trx update

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jat80

Occasional Visitor
Hi there,

I've just updated to the latest firmware for this router and now I can't access it via 192.168.1.1. I have internet but the speed is very much reduced. Would consistently get close to gigabit and now only a quarter of that for some reason.

I have unplugged the router for 30seconds then turned it back on with no luck. I have also turned off the power to the ONT box and waited 30s before turning it back on and still this problem.

Sometimes after a long wait it brings up the login screen and it will let me login but then will just hang and timeout.

Any help would be appreciated.

JT.

Try 192.168.50.1 or router.asus.com

You may have to wait for few hours for some mysterious database maintenance process. It was mentioned in Asuswrt-Merlin first 386 releases changelog. Leave the router ON and wait.

It was a 384. something from memory. I hadn't upgraded in a while.
There is a warning in the 386.1 release notes that upgrading from the 384 release will involve "database maintenance on first boot" that "can take anywhere from 5 minutes up to an hour". However, other forum members have reported it actually taking many hours to complete.

update - I've left it overnight (10hrs leaving it) and now can log in but there is a warning my router is running low on NVRAM and to review long parameter lists like DHCP or consider doing a factory reset? I've never had a problem with this before the update.

update - I've left it overnight (10hrs leaving it) and now can log in but there is a warning my router is running low on NVRAM and to review long parameter lists like DHCP or consider doing a factory reset? I've never had a problem with this before the update.
This message has also been discussed when installing the new firmware version.

I would reset the router and start fresh after big firmware jump.

I've never had a problem with this before the update.
That's just because previous versions didn't warn you when you were running low on free nvram. The newer versions now do, so this isn't a new "issue", but a new warning.

Could anyone explain why my download and upload speeds would drop from close to gigabit down to 1/4 to 1/3 of that speed after the update? Is this a NVRAM issue?

Could anyone explain why my download and upload speeds would drop from close to gigabit down to 1/4 to 1/3 of that speed after the update? Is this a NVRAM issue?
Probably because hardware acceleration is disabled. Check it on the Tools - System Information tab.

Time to do a factory reset and manual setup rather than wasting time trying to debug
Ok. Could you advise the best way to do that? I've actually never done it before. I have a lot of smart home devices that I've assigned local IP address's too for my homebridge plugin configs. Any tips on how to go about the total reset with this in mind? Obviously will name the wireless SSID's the same so they can connect straight away. Appreciate the quick responses and help. Thanks.

Step 1 is to take a backup of your current router settings and jffs partition (Administration - Restore/Save/Upload Setting) before you start. Having those together with a local copy of the matching firmware file means you can always restore back to where you were if things go sideways.

If it's only the fixed IP addresses you're worried about then just take screen shots of the relevant page (LAN - DHCP Server). Do the same for any other significant changes you've made.

When you're ready to bite the bullet go to Administration - Restore/Save/Upload Setting and do a Factory default Restore with the "Initialise all.." box checked.

Step 1 is to take a backup of your current router settings and jffs partition (Administration - Restore/Save/Upload Setting) before you start. Having those together with a local copy of the matching firmware file means you can always restore back to where you were if things go sideways.

If it's only the fixed IP addresses you're worried about then just take screen shots of the relevant page (LAN - DHCP Server). Do the same for any other significant changes you've made.

When you're ready to bite the bullet go to Administration - Restore/Save/Upload Setting and do a Factory default Restore with the "Initialise all.." box checked.
Perfect. Thanks for the clear concise instructions. I'll try rebooting the ONT box and router (now I can log into it) one more time and double check with my ISP nothing has change from there end then will do the factory reset.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!