What's new

RT-AC3200 OpenVPN behind Fritzbox modem/router and ADSL

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RobbieBlok

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

The last two days I am struggling with my new ASUS 3200. I want to setup a VPN client on the ASUS and connect to an openvpn server (windscribe).
The problem is, that, at the moment I have an ADSL connection with a Fritzbox Modem from my provider.

The ASUS router therefore needs to be "behind" my fritzbox.
I tried all kinds of things, configured PPPoE Passthrough on the Fritzbox, but at that point my DECT devices stop functioning, because apparently the internet than stops at the Fritzbox.
During testing with this configuration, I was able to see the VPN client running, but could not use the internet on my laptop, which was connected to the ASUS.

I would like to use the ASUS not in PPPoE mode, but in IP mode. I read that I should use a "double NAT" configuration, but was not able to get things working.

My Fritzbox is in the 192.168.3.x range, so the ASUS could be in the 192.168.4.x range.

I hope you guys can point me in the right direction.

Regards,

Rob

OpenVPN client doesn't care about whether you are behind another router or not. Just configure your router in DHCP mode, with the Fritzbox in PPPoE. On your OpenVPN client, make sure you set DNS mode to "Exclusive" in case your VPN provider rejects other nameservers.

Hi,

The last two days I am struggling with my new ASUS 3200. I want to setup a VPN client on the ASUS and connect to an openvpn server (windscribe).
The problem is, that, at the moment I have an ADSL connection with a Fritzbox Modem from my provider.

The ASUS router therefore needs to be "behind" my fritzbox.
I tried all kinds of things, configured PPPoE Passthrough on the Fritzbox, but at that point my DECT devices stop functioning, because apparently the internet than stops at the Fritzbox.
During testing with this configuration, I was able to see the VPN client running, but could not use the internet on my laptop, which was connected to the ASUS.

I would like to use the ASUS not in PPPoE mode, but in IP mode. I read that I should use a "double NAT" configuration, but was not able to get things working.

My Fritzbox is in the 192.168.3.x range, so the ASUS could be in the 192.168.4.x range.

I hope you guys can point me in the right direction.

Regards,

Rob

1. On the Fitz box set a static IP for the ASUS. It must be in the 192.168.3.x range. (Optional)

2. On the ASUS put the WAN IP as automatic.

3. Run a cable from any LAN port on the Fitz box to the WAN port of the ASUS.

4. Reboot both the Fitz box then the ASUS.

5. Then try starting the VPN client on your ASUS.

You should be up and running. No need to put the ASUS in the DMZ or do any port forwarding.

OpenVPN client doesn't care about whether you are behind another router or not. Just configure your router in DHCP mode, with the Fritzbox in PPPoE. On your OpenVPN client, make sure you set DNS mode to "Exclusive" in case your VPN provider rejects other nameservers.

O boy, that was easy.. the "Exclusive" mode did the trick :) . I was totally confused about all the tutorials on the internet about DMZ, port forwarding, etc.

Now I am quite flexible... connect to the fritzbox and you don't use the VPN connection, connect to the ASUS and you do use the VPN connection. And when using the "rules" even more options. :)

I see that I can configure 2 VPN clients, is there a way to configure more if necessary?

Thanks Again,

Rob

Hi Guys,
Thank you for your help. For now the VPN connection looks to be working Oké, just some difference in upload / download speed when using a VPN, I will investigate this and if I have questions about this probably better to start a new thread.. (I already read that there are a lot of tips regarding the speed, I will try that first...

Thanks again,

Rob