What's new

Rt-ac56u advice.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pierino

Very Senior Member
I have an rt-n66u that I'm somewhat happy with. A netgear r6300 that sometimes goes into spontaneous recovery mode, other that that it works well.
I tried an rt-ac66u and was unhappy with the 2.4ghz performance. I tried to set it up on the same channel, width etc as the n66u and r6300.
I tried RMerlin and dd-wrt but it was subpar.
I think Netgear customer support is awful and asus support is excellent, so I'd like to stick with asus.

Could I get some opinions on the rt-ac56u. It's not sold locally so I'd have to order it online, making it less convenient to return.

Last edited:
I have an rt-n66u that I'm somewhat happy with. A netgear r6300 that sometimes goes into spontaneous recovery mode, other that that it works well.
I tried an rt-ac66u and was unhappy with the 2.4ghz performance. I tried to set it up on the same channel, width etc as the n66u and r6300.
I tried RMerlin and dd-wrt but it was subpar.
I think Netgear customer support is awful and asus support is excellent, so I'd like to stick with asus.

Could I get some opinions on the rt-ac56u. It's not sold locally so I'd have to order it online, making it less convenient to return.

I used it as my main router for a few months. 2.4 GHz range was a bit shorter than the AC66 or AC68 (N7 tablet was getting about 2 signal bars at the other end of the apartment, while with the AC68 I get 4). I didn't measure actual RSSI values however, so these measures are quite subjective.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!