What's new

RT-AC66U 380.57 5Ghz Crashing under load

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NAVYBOYUSA

New Around Here
I have been having this issue for the past 3 builds actually, but it has gotten worse and I can now replicate it on command with this build.

I have tried it with a multitude of settings, NAT Accel ON/OFF, Upnp, ON/OFFF, TX Burst, Channel This, Channel That, default this, WMM that... you get the point. I've tried it all.

Facts:
1) I can do this will all my laptops (various network cards, all updated drivers).
2) I am on Comcast on a Motorola SB6141, connected directly to the Asus.
3) I am using Cat6 cabling
4) I have the room properly cooled
5) I have no neighbors - Noise is <-92db

When I download a large file, such as a game from Steam - I use Bioshock Infinite (44GB download).. the connection will go blazing fast at around 10Mbps for about 1-2 minutes... then CRASH. The 5ghz band blows up.

1) The download stops
2) I cannot browse to the router
3) I cannot browse to the internet
4) I lose wireless signal
5) Wired connections are NOT affected
6) Connection comes back after about 2 min. The router does not reboot and I do not see anything in the SYSLOG.

Please Help before I go crazy. I'd be happy to also to do a Teamviewer session if that helps.

Have you tried older FWs? Does it work fine?

Same thing happens with mine. .55 was the last version that was stable for me. Been using johns firmware instead and it's amazing

I would expect many more people would have reported this if it were a software issue.

I think your hardware is faulty.

Yes I have. I am now going to try alternatives (DD-WRT, Tomato, John's) and report back.

I would guess you don't have to. Seems like the router is saying it's good bye's.

I have tried the test on both John's fork and Tomato. Same issue. Seems like all signs point to router giving up. Thanks for the help guys.

Reporting similar issue with an RT-N66R with the latest Merlin build. Happened to me when I was 1000 miles from home trying to connect to my Zoneminder server. When I got home I went back to Merlin 378.56_2 and it happened again two days ago. Router just locked up. Sorry, do not have logs as the only way to get it going was to factory reset. Went to John's fork this morning.

I have tried the test on both John's fork and Tomato. Same issue. Seems like all signs point to router giving up. Thanks for the help guys.
Replace the power supply. I highly recommend this one, as it's higher amperage than the original: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EMO9R5E/?tag=snbforums-20

I was having the same problems you describe on two separate RT-AC66Us I have in a bridge configuration. Replacing the power supplies on both ends with this unit solved my problems entirely.

Is this the same PS ASUS put on the 68U? If so, would the 40W be enough or go to 60W for the 68U?