What's new

RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tester83

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

thi is my first post in this forum.

I bought this router and i have updated it with the latest version of the Firmware merlin: 380.57

I happened that the router disconnects and makes me repeat the configuration with the message "Settings have been updated. Web page will now refresh. Changes have been made to the IP address or port number. You will now be disconnected from RT-AC68U. To access the settings of RT-AC68U, reconnect to the wireless network and use the updated IP address and port number".

I'm not sure but this happens after few minute when I unplug usb hard disk without unmount command.

Can be this the problem?

I have found a similar question on asus forum without solution:

I have the possibility to change this router with newest like RT-AC87U. Is it more stable?

Thank you

Dont access your router by is name if you need to change something in GUI. Enter 192.168.1.1 by is IP
380.57 is a little buggy for the AC68

From Merlin : The RT-AC68U build still suffers from wireless issues for some hardware revisions, so I do not recommend running it, unless you didn't have any problem with the 380.57 release, or you get one of the newer Hardware revision C1 (see the sticker at the back).
Reverting back to 378.56_2(very stable) is a solution

RT-AC87U is not new( 1 year old +).

Last edited:
Thank you Blinkyz.
I have A2 version.

I know that RT-AC87U is older than one year but it is newer than 68u. Or RT-AC3200 is another solution. I don't want performance but stability. Hardware of AC68 is good for me but the only problem is the stability. I will try the firmware 378.56_2. Can you say me if will be released new firmware for the 68u?

Thank you

Many peoples here have problems with the Ac87( overheating,5ghz band,etc ) Dig for some search in this forum and you will see.
I dont know for the 3200 , but i dont recommend Ac87

And we hope for a Fix for the Ac68 in the next fw release
(fw base on GPL 380.1031, 380.1354 and 380.1842 are buggy for now with the 2.4ghz)

Reverting to 378.56_2 is the good choice for now until asus Fix it.Merlin cant do nothing for that.
The broken part of the Firmware is closed source

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/test-builds-380-58-alpha-builds-are-now-available.30648/

Last edited:
Figured I'd keep this thread going since my interest is finding the most stable release for the AC68U.

I tried Merlins latest 380.58 but the 2.4 wirless eventually stops working, and accessing the web gui stops working after a couple of hours. Rebooting the router gives me access again.

I downgraded to the suggested 378.56_2 this morning but still find the web gui will stop working after approx 3.5 hours. The 2.4 wireless will drop off after shortly afterwards around 4.5 hrs. The 5.8 wireless clients continue to work, along with wired clients. Note this time I did not do a factory reset or clear the NVRAM like I usually do.

My Laser printer wakes up every couple of hours on both of these releases, never had this issue with Tomato.

I've noted in this version there's no way to turn web usage off. Watching the memory usage went from 79MB to 162MB after 3 hours. I'm not using anything extra, no VPN or QOS.

User KVIC mentions a memory leak fix here in this thread but it appears to by related to VPN.
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/memory-leak-related-to-strongswan.22951/#post-236107

Thinking of trying Johns Fork next but need advice on a proven stable version.

latest version of the Firmware merlin: 380.57

I happened that the router disconnects and makes me repeat the configuration with the message "Settings have been updated. Web page will now refresh. Changes have been made to the IP address or port number. You will now be disconnected from RT-AC68U. To access the settings of RT-AC68U, reconnect to the wireless network and use the updated IP address and port number".

I'm not sure but this happens after few minute when I unplug usb hard disk without unmount command.

Can be this the problem?

I have found a similar question on asus forum without solution:

I have the possibility to change this router with newest like RT-AC87U. Is it more stable?

Thank you
Don't change routers. Try accessing the router with a DIFFERENT web browser, ideally on a different machine. It sounds like your problem is more likely with cache-ing the old web page.

Just an update, I flashed John's latest fork. 374.43 available (V17E5) and things have been stable so far.
No UI lockouts, no 2.4 drops or lockups. Signal strength seems to be ok.

I did first flash with Asus stock firmware 376.3626 as recommended. Did a factory restore, nvram clear, loaded the latest fork, factory restore, nvram clear again, then manually set it up. VPN Client and traffic manager on without any issues.

The only outstanding issue is my Samsung laser printer connected via ethernet randomly wakes up.
Now for the stress test when the kids get home at school.

update:
1) i have tried 378.56_2 but problems remain, web gui unreachable and disconnections
2) with 380.57 i have removed usb HDD (wetern digital 2T) and no problem appears
3) with tha latest 380.58 same issue of 380.57: with HDD usb it work with 3/4 day and then gui unreachable, lan problem etc. I left only 3g key and remove HDD and it work without any problem.

I have checked health of HDD and is ok.

update:
-with all this Merlin version 378.56_2, 380.57, 380.58 router disconnects and display me repeat the message "Settings have been updated. Web page will now refresh.....". Router is unreachable via ethernet or wifi (http, ssh, telnet). The only way is to reboot manually (power on/off).

-now i have Beta Version 9.0.0.4.380.2695 of stock Asus firmware. Less option than Merlin but is very stable. The only problem, is failback. I have primary wan with modem and secondary wan with usb Huawei E3372: sometimes, not ever, when it swap to 3g than fails the failback (script error???).

I preferer Merlin firmware because there are more options and the time to swap from wan to usb is about 20 seconds against 60/70 seconds of stock firmware, but i don't know why my router can not be reached often.

ps. all of this test were did without usb hard disk.

Merlin can you help me? :(

Last edited:
update:
-with all this Merlin version 378.56_2, 380.57, 380.58 router disconnects and display me repeat the message "Settings have been updated. Web page will now refresh.....". Router is unreachable via ethernet or wifi (http, ssh, telnet). The only way is to reboot manually (power on/off).

-now i have Beta Version 9.0.0.4.380.2695 of stock Asus firmware. Less option than Merlin but is very stable. The only problem, is failback. I have primary wan with modem and secondary wan with usb Huawei E3372: sometimes, not ever, when it swap to 3g than fails the failback (script error???).

I preferer Merlin firmware because there are more options and the time to swap from wan to usb is about 20 seconds against 60/70 seconds of stock firmware, but i don't know why my router can not be reached often.

ps. all of this test were did without usb hard disk.

Merlin can you help me? :(

How do you access your router? If by is name ,try by IP.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!