What's new

[RT-AC86U] How to disassemble it - LAN port 2 not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kirian

New Around Here
Hello. I have a RT-AC86U that I recently discovered that the 2nd LAN port is not working. Unfortunaly, my warranty expired 10 days ago so it seens I will have to (eventually) fix it myself.
Everything else that I've tested for now has worked. The other LAN ports are okay, as well as the wifi and usb 3.0/2.0 ports, so I'm inclined to think that the problem is just a bad solder on the LAN port itself.
I would like to open the router to make a continuity test, unfortunaly I don't know how to open the router. I "think" I have to remove the front plate first? I'd be glad for any help on this matter, since I'm scared of trying to pry it open and ending breaking something up.
Also, are there other tests I could try to discovery what the problem is if it is not just a bad solder? From what I remember of the router settings there isn't anything that could disable a single LAN port.
Thanks in advance!

Hello. I have a RT-AC86U that I recently discovered that the 2nd LAN port is not working. Unfortunaly, my warranty expired 10 days ago so it seens I will have to (eventually) fix it myself.
Everything else that I've tested for now has worked. The other LAN ports are okay, as well as the wifi and usb 3.0/2.0 ports, so I'm inclined to think that the problem is just a bad solder on the LAN port itself.
I would like to open the router to make a continuity test, unfortunaly I don't know how to open the router. I "think" I have to remove the front plate first? I'd be glad for any help on this matter, since I'm scared of trying to pry it open and ending breaking something up.
Also, are there other tests I could try to discovery what the problem is if it is not just a bad solder? From what I remember of the router settings there isn't anything that could disable a single LAN port.
Thanks in advance!
I would give Asus a try for warranty. With the known hardware problems they have had with the AC86U you should be able to get a new router.

The case is generally similar to the 68U (TMAC1900). So I'd point you to instructions its disassembly

But first, take a good look at the RJ45 socket pins. Make sure none are bent and are gaped evenly.
I had a bunch of dust jammed in one of mine once, picked it out and all was well.

Start with the link below (10 steps, as necessary).

If the issues persist, I would do the following if the warranty exchange isn't an option, to determine if it is (more likely) a hardware failure or not (before you attempt to disassemble it).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!