What's new

RT-AC86U refuses to connect to internet (384.7_2)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JimmyB

New Around Here
New router, loaded Merlin right away, minimal configurations (only the things required after a hard reset - PPPoE Username/Password, WiFi SSID/Password...).

Modem (Smart rg SR505n) has been in bridge mode for years, never an issue with my AC68U running Merlin.

Switching between 86U and 68U: 86U consistently doesn't work, 68U consistently works. Tried a second 68U, it also worked right away. Talked to ISP, they don't lock account to a MAC (confirmed by me when I tried the second 68U).

I tried a second, new 86U, stock firmware - NO internet connection established.

Reverted to Asus firmware, same issue. Called Asus, with all ports disconnected they had me do an 8-second hard reset, allow to reboot (wait till lights stabilize), connect LAN, connect WAN, setup basic credentials through browser...connection established!!!

Unfortunately following the exact same procedure after re-loading Merlin doesn't yield same results - still NO internet connection established.

Reverted back to Asus firmware, and started to configure settings after connecting LAN but before connecting modem to WAN (but had not reached PPPoE username/password yet) - connected to WAN, continued setup...again, NO internet connection established. Went through the hard-reset process again connecting both LAN and WAN before starting the configuration, and voila! Internet connection established.

With the connection so finicky, I'm concerned about future reboots resulting in an inability to reconnect without a hard reset. And I wouldn't want to have to configure everything manually every time.

And I'd be much more comfortable running Merlin.

Please tell me I'm overlooking something simple. Or that there's a known compatibility issue with the Smart rg SR505n.

Some ISPs will require you to wait a certain period of time for any existing PPPoE session to fully expire before you can connect with a new router. Try turning the modem off for about 15 minutes, then try again.

No luck. I turned the modem off for about 1.75 hours, installed Merlin again, hard reset after installing Merlin, minimal configurations again: username/password and WiFi. With router off, turned modem on and waited for DSL signal, then turned router on... still no connection.

Frustrated and open to suggestions.

No luck. I turned the modem off for about 1.75 hours, installed Merlin again, hard reset after installing Merlin, minimal configurations again: username/password and WiFi. With router off, turned modem on and waited for DSL signal, then turned router on... still no connection.

Frustrated and open to suggestions.
Try to call your isp sometimes they don't release the old router..
Edit: see you all ready tried that (note to self read it all before postingo_O)
Tried different/new cable? Know it works on the 68u but they can sometimes be a bit sensitive

Last edited:
Please post the syslog to a file-sharing site and provide a link.

Try to call your isp sometimes they don't release the old router..
Edit: see you all ready tried that (note to self read it all before postingo_O)
Tried different/new cable? Know it works on the 68u but they can sometimes be a bit sensitive

The modem LAN light shows connected, and the Router shows WAN port connection is established (100MB); furthermore, that same cable worked with the 86U on ASUS firmware if I followed the steps perfectly. So I think I can rule out the cable (although that would have been a nice, simple fix).

Well, as I originally questioned and in line with Zastoff's comment, it appears it was a compatibility issue with the modem; since upgrading the firmware may not have been possible (it had ISP provided firmware), I opted to try another modem I had access to.

The new modem (different model) has eliminated my prior issues. And had I tried, perhaps a firmware upgrade on the original modem would also have resolved the issue.

Thanks for the help everyone!