What's new

RT-AC86u - Rsync Daemon doesn't start - missing libc.so.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tricorax

New Around Here
Hi Forum,

firstly I want to mention that I am not really into linux, so please be patient. I only know the basics.

I do have a problem starting the rsync daemon on my RT-AC86u Router. I installed asuswrt-merlin (V 382.1_2) and optware using this tutorial:

https://rewster.uk/2016/03/11/running-rsync-on-asus-router/

The outcome should be, that my ASUS router is recognizable from my Synology NAS DS213j as a rsync-compatible server using HyperBackup to execute a remote sync of my important files. My thought was to start the rsync daemon on the router and then configure HyperBackup to do the rsync on a daily basis.

Logging on the router using Putty with root user I can't start the rsync daemon using the command

'rsync --daemon start'

The error message states: 'can't load library libc.so.0'

Searching for the library using WinSCP, the library in fact isn't found anywhere on the router. Nevertheless there are many libraries found in '/tmp/mnt/My-Book/asusware.arm/lib/' like 'libc.so' and 'libc.so.1'

What am I missing?

Thank you in advance for your help!

I’d just re-format the USB drive (assuming there is nothing else on it) to remove optware/rsync

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi JDB,

thx for your help. I re-formatted the USB Drive (8TB) to remove optware. Unfortunately the ASUSWRT-merlin firmware allows only HFS/NTFS/FAT formatting. To install entware-ng I need an ext2/3/4 device.

I tried to reformat the device /dev/sda through SSH with the command mkfs but the command isn't available.

Any suggestions? As mentioned before I'm new into Linux - sorry for that.

I’ll check on how I formatted mine when I get home [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi JDB,

thx for your help. I re-formatted the USB Drive (8TB) to remove optware. Unfortunately the ASUSWRT-merlin firmware allows only HFS/NTFS/FAT formatting. To install entware-ng I need an ext2/3/4 device.

I tried to reformat the device /dev/sda through SSH with the command mkfs but the command isn't available.

Any suggestions? As mentioned before I'm new into Linux - sorry for that.

You can plug the USB into a windows computer and make an ext* partition with something like MiniTool Partition Wizard

I plugged the USB-HDD into my NAS which is able to format in EXT4 filesystem. Tried to install entware with the a/m tutorial but I only got error message.

can't create directory '/opt': File exists
can't create directory '/opt/': No such file or directory

...and so on

Also the partition isn't called sda1 after formatting but '/tmp/mnt/1.42.6-15254' - Entware tried to install to this partition (which was the only one available)

That will be the partition name your NAS switch gave it, that's fine.

Did you reboot the router after wiping the USB? Probably the /opt link already exists from the optware install if you didn't.

Wipe USB, reboot router, plug empty pre-ext4-formatted USB in, run entware setup.

the full error message (keep in mind that I over-installed entware)

XXX@XXX:/tmp/mnt/1.42.6-15254# entware-setup.sh
Info: This script will guide you through the Entware installation.
Info: Script modifies "entware" folder only on the chosen drive,
Info: no other data will be changed. Existing installation will be
Info: replaced with this one. Also some start scripts will be installed,
Info: the old ones will be saved on Entware partition with name
Info: like /tmp/mnt/sda1/jffs_scripts_backup.tgz

Info: Looking for available partitions...
[1] --> /tmp/mnt/1.42.6-15254
=> Please enter partition number or 0 to exit
[0-1]: 1
Info: /tmp/mnt/1.42.6-15254 selected.

* Warning: Found previous installation, saving...
Info: Creating /tmp/mnt/1.42.6-15254/entware folder...
Info: Creating /tmp/opt symlink...
ln: /tmp/opt: File exists
Info: Creating /jffs scripts backup...
tar: removing leading '/' from member names
Info: Modifying start scripts...
Info: Checking for prerequisites and creating folders...
mkdir: can't create directory '/opt': File exists
mkdir: can't create directory '/opt/': No such file or directory
Info: Opkg package manager deployment...
/opt/bin/opkg: No such file or directory
chmod: /opt/bin/opkg: No such file or directory
/opt/etc/opkg.conf: No such file or directory
/opt/lib/ld-2.23.so: No such file or directory
/opt/lib/libc-2.23.so: No such file or directory
/opt/lib/libgcc_s.so.1: No such file or directory
sh: cd: line 31: can't cd to /opt/lib
chmod: ld-2.23.so: No such file or directory
ln: ld-linux.so.3: File exists
ln: libc.so.6: File exists
Info: Basic packages installation...
sh: /opt/bin/opkg: not found
sh: /opt/bin/opkg: not found
/opt/usr/lib/locale/locale-archive: No such file or directory
Info: Congratulations!
Info: If there are no errors above then Entware-ng was successfully initialized.
Info: Add /opt/bin & /opt/sbin to your PATH variable
Info: Add '/opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung start' to startup script for Entware-ng services to start
Info: Found a Bug? Please report at https://github.com/Entware-ng/Entware-ng/issues
ASUS_Admin@RouterDisk:/tmp/mnt/1.42.6-15254#

And I have mkfs.ext3 as a symbolic link to mke2fs (in /usr/sbin) on my router running 382.1_2
I'm guessing you tried just mkfs (which was replaced by mke2fs)

Also check the download master in the GUI thinks it's uninstalled as well.

Finally I could install entware after rebooting the router and deleting all files which were installed on my partition (1.42.6-15254)

Now it comes to rsync

Reactions: JDB
I just ran "opkg install rsync" and rsync seems to install and run ok

@JDB

Installation of rsync was successful. Wanted to start rsync daemon with command

'rsync --daemon start'

Got error message: 'Failed to parse config file: /opt/etc/rsyncd.conf

Do you guys have a How-to for writing the config-file ?

Thx for the help, btw that's great.

Your original guide should give you what you need. It appears to show you an rsync.d example - just stick that in /opt/etc/

rsync daemon is running.

unfortunately i can't add a data backup job on the synology. After entering the User and password the NAS replies with 'Authentification failed. Please check the authentification credentials'

The user credentials User:password are stored in the rsyncd.secrets file and the same user/pw is added on the synology NAS. Any thoughts on this?

I would set up SSH Keys and avoid passwords altogether myself. That's how I do all my rsync jobs on my synology's.

I'm giving up on this one. The only reason I wanted this to work is the fact the Synology has only USB 2.0 ports and the router has USB3. So I guess I just plug in the Backup disk directly to the Synology to do the Backup with slow speeds and maybe upgrade to a Synology with USB3 Ports.

This whole issue confirms my dislike for linux as it is just not user friendly. For somebody who is a beginner in using linux it is very frustrating to get any job done.

Nevertheless I want to thank you for the excellent help on my issue. The fast reply made it nearly an real-time support. This days it is hard to find so helpful guys on the internet.

For sure command like Linux is more suited to those with experience - the plus point is all the info is generally out there on the web (or indeed in forums!).

Glad to have helped a little. Maybe you'll delve into Linux another time and have a better experience based on knowledge you gained this time :)